Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice before revision discectomy?

brokenbrianbbrokenbrian Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am about to have my second surgery. This time it will be a discectomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Since Ive been throught it once I kinda know what to expect. I thought I did everything right the first time but it did reherniate. Ive done a ton of reading on post op and I know theres a few things Im forgetting. I see my surgeon tomorrow morning for the last time before surgery and we will set the date then. Should be in about 2 weeks. I want to make sure I have everything covered down to the smallest thing before I go under. I bought 2 different grabbers, some easy slip on shoes and a cane. Anything else I will need? Also last time I spent alot of time on the couch. Im 6'4" so I probably should have stayed in bed more where I could stretch out, but I cant stay in my room all day I need to atleast get out into some open space. Would a recliner be better? Of course I will ask my doc all of this tomorrow but just kinda looking for any advice I can get to ensure my best chance at a successful outcome.

• Just wanted to wish you all the best. I just had microdiscectomy/decompression L4-S1 last Tuesday.
    When did you realize that something was wrong and that you had reherniated? Did you feel pretty good after surgery and then have a set back or did you know something was wrong right away?

I understand not wanting to be in bed all the time, perhaps a recliner would be a good idea ( do you have an electric one that goes up and down in order to get in/ out of it easier?) Otherwise I imagine it would be difficult to get in/out of. Grabbers and a cane are a great idea, I use them alot. Make sure things that you will need throughout the day are at a level that you won't need to bend.

Enjoy these tow weeks and try to do something special for yourself.

Will be thinking of you. Please let us know how it goes at the surgeon's appointment.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks Karen, I hope your surgery went well and you continue to heal.

After my surgery I was really sore for 3 or 4 days. But thats to be expected. I guess mine was kind of a wierd case. Exactly 7 days after surgery I felt completley fine. I made sure not to overdo it. on the 8th or 9th day I sneezed and pain shot into my foot. I called the doc and they said I was fine. From there it slowly got worse but luckily not as bad as pre-op.
  • Hey there,

Sorry you are headed in for round 2 but you have the right attitude. I thought I did everything right too but ended up with reherniation within a few weeks.

I had the revision. Here's some things
    1 - ask the surgeon if they do any special nerve monitoring. I suggest this b/c my doctor did since they had to get through lots of scar tissue

2 - Ask how long the surgery will take. The surgery may take longer and as a result they may suggest you stay overnight just to make things easier for you/family

3 -Ask about recovery. I suspect they may want you to take more time off the 2nd go around. My surgeon did b/c he really did NOT want me even in a car for 6 weeks. Aside from the car ride home, I was not even in a car for 2-weeks and then another 4 he told me to avoid riding in one since you get jostled around. Of course, I was stir crazy so my husband would take me on 2 mile ride to the local Dunkin Doughnuts for a coffee just to get me out

4 - Ask him about stool softeners...you know the meds and being under can 'back you up' in the colon department and you don't want to strain

5 - I think you got it right on post ops. I believe it's 2 weeks and then again at about 6-weeks post op. And, if needed at 10-weeks.

Remember, it's just statistics on the re-herniation. Nothing that you did wrong.

I found the 2nd surgery was easier...strange.
    They went through same incision and were able to 'dock' the equipment in the same place so they didn't have to shave/cut anymore lamina. They removed a lot of scar tissue and the herniated disc. They did nerve monitoring which is why I think the recovery was easier in a sense. I did find that since I was under longer, I did get nauseous waking up but that was just me. Luckily I remembered how to log-roll to get up and out of bed and knew to ask for help in advance of needing it since I knew the nurses tend to take a little bit.

Good luck!