Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L2-S1 Fusion with Pedical Screws

jcshanjjcshan Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Anyone had a multilevel fusion L2-S1 done recently?
I am recovering from June 1st surgery & have just started Therapy. Still can't sit or stand very long at one time!
Will post more later!!

• HI! I had 2 spinal fusions within 2 years--L3-4,and L4-L5.It takes along time to recover-during the day,sit a bit-walk a bit,sit a bit-walk abit.If you sit too long it will be hard to move around.Be sure to take your pain meds on time,whether you think you need them or not.PM me anytime if you want to talk-you will get through it! Texas Cowgirl
  • Hi,

I am fused L1 to S1. Three surgeries in four the most recent being L5/S1 the end of march. Recoveries were different for each one, the biggest being L1-L5. Keep up on the pain meds as you can't heal while in pain. Walk as you can tolerate. Follow doctors instructions for lifting, bending, etc. I am a swimmer and getting back in the pool has always been a good thing for my back. So great to be weightless. Incision has to heal before you can get in water. Good luck and keep me posted on your recovery.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Thanks for replies!
    Sure is a slow process! Therapy is focusing on the discs above & below the fusion. They will have extra work to do because of a 4 disc fusion. Not getting along to bad & agree with the sit, walk & move around, any position for very long is not at all comfortable.
    Best of luck to all!

Will keep in touch.
  • Hello!

I just joined board today so excuse me please.

I had l2-s1 5 months ago and in week 7 of physical therapy. The best advise I can give is don't give up and be kind to yourself. You had a pretty big surgery and it takes time. Lots of love. I know it sounds clitche but this type of surgery just takes patience and positive thoughts. Don't be shy asking for help, that can be hard especially if you are a guy like me.
    I have walked every day with very few exceptions. For me it's not so much the distance and speed but just get the old legs moving. I am up to two to three times a day on treadmill for twenty minutes at a time at 1.5 to 2.5 mph depending on how I feel. But I walk even if I don't feel like it. I do my core strength exercises that PT gave me every day as well.

I was in very very bad shape before surgery and I am in my forties so maybe others are doing more but for me just being able to walk and do a few things every day is great! I'm only taking 4 pain pills a day now and most days I get around pretty good. I do believe I have perm. nerve damage in my legs and feet but I can live with it compared to before surgery.

Bottom line every one is different with unique stories and recovery. Just know that you are NOT ALONE and DON'T give up. -peace
  • Can I ask how you all are doing now?