Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Root Decompression after Fusion Surgery

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my decompression surgery today and am home already and feeling pretty good with my ice pump and pain pills.

The bone removal went well but We are concerned about the scar tissue that was also compressing the nerve root and will ask more questions about that at the 2 week checkup.

Would love to hear from anyone who had scar tissue removed and if it was successful and/or how to keep it from forming.

One thing I have read is that NSAIDS help but I suffer from Barrett's esophagus (probably caused by all the years of NSAIDS to control the pain) so that is not an option for me.

• Welcome home! Glad to hear that you are doing well post op.

Did they clean up the scar tissue that formed after your first surgery as well as the bone removal? I am interested in your recovery as my husband has scar tissue build up and pressing on his nerve after his discectomy and I too am worried that this will happen in my case.I am interested in ways to help prevent this from happening.

Take it easy, rest, walk. What is the recovery time for this surgery for you?

Healing vibes being sent your way!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • He said he cleaned up the scar tissue and the bone, but it is really difficult to get good answers the day of surgery as the surgeon is doing so many and I was so out of it and my husband mostly just cares that I am alright!

I will definitely be asking a ton of questions when I get the staples out in two weeks! Did your husband have his removed?

• I thought i read somewhere that pt is what helps after surgery to keep the scar tissue from attaching itself on the nerve. Thats the only thing that i heard of that helps prevent it as far as i know. Which i guess would make some sense with movement posibly not leting scar tissue grow where its not wanted. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi; and i just wanna wish you the very best during your recovery.

Just take'r easy and i've heard the same thing that movement from walking is suppose to help keep scar tissue from forming where it's not suppose to.

At least with that ice pump, it probably feels good with this summer heat. It should ease the pain and cool your body temperature down.

Take care of yourself