Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st Cervical ESI

mrsstats79mmrsstats79 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had my first injection today. Lots of worrying for no reason. No pain involved at all. Took about 10 minutes once I was in the treatment room. Total time there was about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

My question now is when should I expect relief? I know sometimes a 1st injection doesnt work but if it does, how much time beofre it does.

• I has been good to read your post and that the cervical ESIs were not painful at all.

I have been referred to have some and am not sure that I like the idea!!

Did they tell you what the purpose of having them was?
    I believe that it is for pain only. I am wondering if they will help the headaches that I get regularly.
    Also, I wonder if they will help with the neurological symptoms I get in my legs and feet. Perhaps getting rid of inflamation will help to get the pressure off the cord, that is causing that.

Any more information that you can give would be great.

I have just seen that this was your first post.

Welcome to Spine Health. This is a great to form friendships with people who are going through similar situations to you and therefore can empathise. Also there is a lot of information of various spine conditions.

• I was told the injection was similar to when you get a cortisone injection in your knee. If is to reduce the inflamation. So far, I do not feel any different and the muscles are still as tight as they have been. I would love to see improvement.
  • The injections helped me for a while. I usually felt something the next day and then a little more after that. You can get up to a series of 3 if you don't get enough improvement from earlier ones. After a number of years they stopped working. It's different for each person.

Take care.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • ESIs serve the purpose of decreasing inflammation. They generally, depending on the problem, only work for a short period of time. My problem was structural in nature so any decrease in inflammation eventually got worse again.

My only recommendation with them is to ALWAYS GET THE SEDATION! My insurance did not cover it so for my first round I opted to be awake. Because of my structural issues, I felt as if I had gotten electrocuted. This is not the norm so the doctor pulled the needle out and tried again, thinking she had hit something. After the third try with the same sensation each time she went ahead and put the dye in to see if she was in fact in the right place but my epidural space was that sensitive, which it was. I was miserable for several days afterwards as well.

I went back 3 other times and was sedated for each and it was much better!!