Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My problem in Dublin

fritzsavffritzsav Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi Folks,I am male and live in Dublin, Ireland.I had a Medtronic sens implant in May 2010. But as you are aware the population here is very small eg 4.5 m. Hence the pain team are quite good but have limited knowledege of patient problems. I am 42 now and was envolved in RTA in 2004,resulting in L5 damage, I am fully mobile and have reduced my meds (now only 4xzydol, 1xbaclofen and 1xzispin(anti-depress) per day). My main problem besides not being able to sit, stand, lift, bend, stretch...(you get the picture). I get fatigued very quickly and need to rest(I am not overweight and walk most days).
My Pain doctor is shocked Im not back in work and has said he did not put the unit into me for me not to have a job!
I understand he wants me to have a better quality of life but no employers here will touch me after being off work for the last 5 years and still on meds. This is a new problem here and nobody wants to deal with it.
I'd like to know are there many people with sens implants in the general workforce and what kind of work you can do.
Any ideas on what work I can do from home.
I only know of 2 other people with sens implants in Dublin, 1 got it taken out after a few months and the other is on permanent disability.
advertisement

Comments

• I have had my SCS for over 3 years and went right back to work 3 weeks after the initial implant. After a few weeks I decided that the stress of the job was too much for me and I quit. I then did volunteer work at the local hospital physical therapy clinic for the next year. I ran into issues with some of the medication my doctor had me taking and it made it impossible for me to work anymore so I discontinued that. I finally got hooked up with a new doctor and got the medications squared away and have once again gained employment in customer service. I also have a second job restocking beer and wine in a few local stores. Both jobs require me to be on my feet and lift quite a bit. My SCS handles it all quite well.

I found that by doing volunteer work, I was able to show different employers that I am capable of handling the job.

I am not sure what kind of work you can do from home. I do know that many people do things like medical transcription from home. Not quite sure what is available in Dublin.

Best wishes,

"C"