Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Scans

optimistooptimist Posts: 546
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just curious to through out there: how many of you guys had bone scans, either SPECT or PET scans and if so, why were they done (pre or post surgery, what the doctor was looking for) and was the information worth getting the radiation?

• I had a 3D bone scan to look at my RSD(CRPS), so it was not for a surgery, but to look for the presence of it and the degree. It was also the same tool they used to diagnose it. I also know they like to give women a bone scan at one year post menstrual cycle to get a base line reading, but not sure how often they follow them afterwards.
  • I had a pre-op bone scan to make sure that the bones were strong enough not to create problems with fusion/holding hardware etc.

My Primary care doctor said he would have ordered one soon to establish a baseline and make sure that there was no osteoporosis problem as it is easier to treat the sooner you find it.

In my mind well worth the radiation exposure
  • pre surgery. It was to basically rule out tumours and infection I believe.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I had one last year. RSD and to look for / at other things. I don't know if it was worth it or not, time will tell......... :)))
  • I had one when I broke my foot. The break wasn't visible on x-ray but glowed bright on the bone scan. It was more then worth it, to me. I would have went back to work had they not found the break and would have caused more damage. I know they are looking for other things when they do a bone scan before the surgery, but if they want to do one I would do it. I wouldn't take a chance on the bones not being strong enough to hold the fusion.
  • I had a bone scan before it was discovered I have a torn disc so they weren't too sure why a mild herniation was causing so much pain. I was told they were looking for bone strength and tumors. Luckily the test came back fine! (and it was interesting to be considered radioactive after getting that stuff injected!)