Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice Please! Should I really be seeing a Chiropractor?!

kirsty_2011kkirsty_2011 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been seeing a Chiropractor for the past couple of months, 3 adjustments a week and some excercises at home, this is to continue for 6 months. Basically, I have suffered from neck and shoulder pain for years. Sitting down all day at work at a desk really aggravates it but there's nothing I can do to change that! The chiropractor took xrays and showed me that my neck has lost 80% of it's natural curve, it's completely straight! I also have a slight degeneration of C5 disc. He says these are the causes of my pain. Initially my pain subsided and almost dissapeared for a couple of weeks and I thought, wow it's working already! Unfortunately it has come back with avengence and my neck is very tight, stiff and sore. The chiropractor says this is normal and it will go away. I'm concerned if the chiropractic treatment will really help me get rid of my pain for good or is it more of a muscular problem? Deep massage always relieves it but never for long. Physio hasn't helped in the past. I had to sign a contract for my treatment and it will cost me £2,500 over the next 18 months, I need to know if it's going to be worth the money or should I try to get out of the contract before the first payment comes out on 27th July?!! Any advice would be much appreciated!
Many Thanks,

• Hi Kirsty, You have a valid question...will this help? But the first question you need to ask is what is wrong? If I were you I would go to an orthopedist or neurologist for a second opinion. I know many chiros use xrays to diagnose but there are other imaging techiniques that show more detail.

As to your treatment...he can work on the muscles and tendons for years but that will not change a damaged disk. It can help to strengthen the muscle around it that will add stability but nothing can "fix" the disk. My concern would be whether you have cord impingement or nerve impingement because of this disk. Again why you need to get better imaging.

As a consumer I try to follow one basic rule...don't buy from the person who recommends something. Meaning if a doctor says I need PT I don't go to the PT office that he is a part owner of. I always look for a conflict of interest especially in healthcare.
  • Contract for treatment!? How does the doc know how long it will take to heal. That makes me suspicious right there!

I am very scared of chiropractors. I know there are some people here that do get relief from a chiro but I didn't. Made things worse.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    to see a chiropractor.
    Once you have been identified to have disc problems (regardless at what level), I would much rather go to someone who is trained to deal with disc problems.

Many chiropractors use the 'Adjustment technique) while working with patients. That may work fine, but you know there are discs involved and the spinal nerve root, I would stay away from chiropractor treatments.

This is not to say that there aren't trained chiropractors that fully understand all the discs, the spinal cord, etc, just so he/she knows just how much manipulation can be done

But I would question their credentials just to make sure they have a good understanding of the spine, its problems, etc
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • HI,
    I would find a neurosurgeon or a good ortho dr. and not see the chiro until you know exactly what is going on. Years ago, I saw a chiro, and she helped me quite a bit, then it just didn't work anymore...short term relief at best. Find out what the problem is, and then go from there... You don't want to mess with your neck as too many things are connected! And who charges for future services like that? Nobody I ever dealt with....

• not to go to a Chiropractor because I have cervical spondylosis with cord compression.
    Unless you have had MRIs done, they can't see if the nerves are being compressed or not.

Before my lumbar surgery, I did used to see a Chiro and he would adjust my lumbar spine, thoracic spine and cervical spine. I do believe that he helped me a lot, but then things became more serious and now I would feel very nervous in case he made things worse.

I think once a disc is pressing on nerves or the cord, it is just to risky.

Signing a contract for all that money in advance of treatment, does sound suspicious. If he was really good and you were getting relief from his treatments, you would keep going anyway, without having to pay up front. He would have lots of patients and would be able to let them visit when they needed to.

Welcome to Spine Health Kirsty. :H

Do let us know how you get on.

• I agree with what the others said. Probably 12 -15 years ago I went to a chiropractor regularly, and it did seem to help for a while. It was the chiropractor who recommended me to see an orthopedic surgeon and a rheumatologist. I am thankful for that. Because of the type of arthritis I have it was recommended I not go to a chiropractor.

You are questioning whether to use a chiropractor, so you should try to get out of it unless you are sure you want to go forward. I suggest you go seek a reason for your pain instead of just treating the symptoms.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I seem to have a similar diagnosis as you. Without an MRI I would have never known the extent of my disc disease. I had tried everything else and went to a chiropractor last year. I felt better immediately after getting adjusted but eventually started feeling worse than before between adjustments so I quit. Roughly 6 months after that I was feeling MUCH worse and went back to my neurosurgeon to find out that even though the chiropractor had helped some with the straightening of my cervical spine I had now herniated a disc causing spinal cord compression and deviation.

I obviously can't say that it was the chiropractor that caused it but can't say it wasn't them either...
  • I don't know how much is 2500 lbs but when I went to a Chiropractor he wouldn't even touch my back except for TENs and icing.

I have reverse lordosis of my neck also but with a disc problem you need to see a Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon to see what his opinion is. I think it's unusual to ask for a contract or give you a time that in 18 months you will be better. It sounds like you're not a peace with your decision with the contract so go with your instinct not to sign. Why a contract?

I've been to Physiotherapy who did gentle manual traction that helped my arm pain from my neck but see your Family Dr. first. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm happy to see all the responses recommended that you go to a professional. I went to two chiropractor sessions this past week and was experiencing soreness afterward. While researching how to treat it, I came across two websites.

The first is very scary:

The second gives you a realistic idea of what really happens at a chiropractor based on medical journals and real studies (These are hard to find) and offers real suggestions for those who suffer from back/neck pain (The links of the right side take you to these):

I hope you took everyone's advice!