Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Conflicts between doctors update

ShySShy Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
ok so I was sent for A MRI on my neck also. Don't know the results. However one doc, says I need back surgery or it will just get worse. another doctor says I need surgery on my hands and pt for a month to start, for my back. and the other doctor says it my neck have to call him back I Thursday's after he studies the Mir more. I have one more doc to go to I wonder what he will say. Now Im not only scared but so darn confused. anyone else experience conflicts like this. Help confused in Ohio.

• Hi Shy

What type of doctors are giving you these conflicting opinions? Did you go to all of them with the same complaint? I'm also confused about the MRI and why they are saying anything before getting the results.

Most important is do these doctors know about each other or were you going to them to get several opinions? Call the office and get a copy of the MRI results and make sure that all of your doctors get this as well.

• Yes they all have MRI and are neurosurgeon. they have said many different things are causing my problem that's what is confusing.I have not got the report back on my neck but I did get my back I have bulging discL4 l5 are serves l4 L3 are mild l2 l3 mild central canal stenosis and facet Det,some other things I don;t have my paper with me. however IM just confused and don't know what to think anymore but the pain is still here and I have no answers yet frustrated. the doc have my neck results
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    diagnosis from trained medical professionals that I have seen in a long long time.

For starters, I would talk with the one doctor who you feel you have the best relationship with. Then start to ask question as to Why have the doctors come up with different diagnosis and action plans?

I know that different doctors may look at MRI images and reports somewhat differently, but bottom line, they should all be at least in tune to what your problems are.

But to hear one doctor say its your back and the other to say its in your hands and that they have to operate just sounds so strange.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I thought the same thing it so hard to find a good doctor and one to trust I really like the one I saw today he actually had me do things walk on my toes and heals push pull on my legs and arms and he listen to my neck chest and back did reflex test and did a reflex to my hands which when he flick my middle finger my thumb jerk and he said that there was something wrong and wanted to look at the MRI closer but they were having problems with the computers.Does this help you any to understand more because i have no clue/ I have to call him Thursday
  • I am guessing that you told the different doctors different symptoms, which lead them to look at that part of the body. For example if you said you had leg issues to one then they looked at your lumbar. Then if you said you had issues with your hands they looked at that. However a cord compression in the cervical spine could cause both issues with your arms and legs. The Mri of your neck is important in the diagnoses. When it comes down to issues with lumbar versus the cervical spine, they will address the cervical spine first if they are of any concern sense the spinal cord is there, and you don't want to have damage to it.

What kind of lumbar surgery did they propose to do? You might find it helpful to take someone else with you to the appointments as they say two sets of ears are always better than one.

Your going to need to pick a doctor and go with their opinions, however if they suggest surgery, I would be getting a second opinion on the surgery. But when you go for a second opinion it is to discuss the proposed surgery, not really to add in other medical issues. But it all sounds like you need a nuerologist at this point and time to sort it all out.
  • Thanks for you suggestion, however my father and husband have went with me along with my medical journal and medical records of my complaints I did not tell them different symptoms I went for my back and walk out of his office for test on my hands to see if I needed surgery for karpaltunnel the other doctor 2ND one said it my neck and want to look at the MRI again. I don;t have conflicting stories to them. I tell them what has happen since Oct to now. and answer the ? that they ask me and show them my medical and journal records ,so I don't forget anything.