Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need some advice please and thanks!

latte76llatte76 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello to all. I am a 34 yr old women who has been through 3 back surgeries. in 2008 I had to have an emergency surgery to fix a herniated disc that left me with a drop foot. 4 months later the disc collapsed. They did an anterior fusion L4 L5. A year later I had to have another fusion. So now I'm fused L4 L5 S1. It's been almost 2 years since my last surgery and I still have pain. They referred me to a pain clinic but all they want to do is get me off my medication. I don't abuse my medication, I am very good with it. They said it has too many long term effects. I can't help feeling bad for having pain...they make me feel like I shouldn't have pain. I am a single mom of 4 kids. It's such a horrible feeling sometimes when you don't want to get out of bed because you hurt to bad. I was fine on the medication I was on. I could live. Now, it's hard to do a lot. I still have pain that goes down to my foot. Every little thing you do around the house affects your back somehow. They want to do epidural blocks in my back, and honestly I'm scared to have anything else done to my back. I just want my old life back before the pain..

• Sorry to hear you're having so much pain. I have had many epidural injections and nerve blocks in the past 3 years I've had pain and it does work for me for awhile. But some here have done well with injections. I hope you can get some pain relief somehow after having all these surgeries. I hope you can get the pain relief through injections and pain meds.

I've been to 3 different opinions to Pain Management Drs and each one added different injections and meds including Cymbalta which has really helped my sciatica.

I take slow release narcotics and hear the usual you may get addicted but how can you live without pain relief? It's unfair that many true chronic pain patients have to endure such disbelief with looking for pain relief but when you find the right Dr. who is willing to help and work with you makes all the difference but requires a lot of frequent visits and voicing your pain so you can get treatment. I hope you get the pain relief you need.

I think they also do diagnostic injections also to see if your hardware can be causing pain also and they're always a Spinal cord Stimulator (SCS) which have helped members here with pain relief or a pain pump. Never give up looking for a Dr. to help with your pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I guess I am fortunate that my neuro listens to me and has no problem with prescribing my meds. My primary care had wanted to send me to a pain management but my neuro told me to cancel appt and I felt that he was looking out for my best interest, cuz a pain management obviously didn't know my situation.
    I can completely understand the not wanting to get out of bed in morning due to pain!! I literally hate waking up in the morning cuz I hurt so bad!! But on the other hand not waking up is a bad thing too LOL (bad humor there) :) I've also heard the comments about getting addicted but if my meds help me get thru the day then so be it! I sure hope you get things figured out. Take care
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Wow..unbelievable that the pain management doc would be the one trying to get you off meds..
    Did doc say he was trying to get you off one or some meds to put you on another med? more effective med?

With the back..nerve...whatever kind of pain.. doc gives pain meds and knows it only takes the edge off. He knows the pain is there 24/7.
    So if you have pain even with medications...it seems kind of cruel to take a person off meds completely.

Some great comments above and I would agree...never stop looking for a doctor! One who will believe you and truly help you with your pain. I know it is so difficult to invest in looking for a doctor when it's a full time job managing your pain and other issues you may have.
    It's not easy and kind of sad..that you need to be a procative advocate for yourself.
    Maybe you will find a word of mouth doc referral from friends...or friends of friends
    I can't even imagine all on your plate as single mom with 4 kids.
    Take care and keep in touch!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History