Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Back Pain

Cabot8266CCabot8266 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I have chrinic back pain from my fusion surgery from the top of neck all the way down my spine. My surgery was done because of kyphosis. I did well for the first 2 years, and was pain free finally. Well that didnt last long before the pain returned. I feel so helpless most of the time, i hurt constantly. I am seeing a pm dr, i am on percocet 10/325. It has seem to stop working. I started out with hydrocodone, but that quickly turned into like taking candy, didnt help for very long. They switched me to percocet but it is not seeming to help anymore. I will be 40 on Friday. When i first was seen by the pm dr, he was dumbfounded at my scare and told me he had never seen a scar that big. He basically told me we will make you comfortable and try to give me a quality of life. That sent me into a kind of depression as i was only 38. It was very hard to hear.

Anyway, now i wonder what i need to discuss with the dr since the percocet isnt working. What is the next med. I havd looked up and did a little research about pain pumps. I dont know if that would be an option. What kind of dr do i need to see to have this done. I dont think this would be something my pain clinic does. Any info would be appreciated. I would like to have my life back, i actually dont know what that is really as i have been in pain for so long, 3 years before my surgery i was in pain as well. I have 2 daughters and it breaks me that i can do alot of stuff with them.

Thank you for reading my post, sorry i didnt mean to write a book.

• Hi Michelle,
    Coincidently I am seeing my neurologist today and one of the main topics will be my pain medication. I am on Percocet 10/325 along with oxycodone for breakthru and for the last 2 months the percocet has stopped providing the pain management I need to have some for of life. Previously I had him reduce the strength of the Percocet because I didnt like the "fog" it put me it but after 2 months of trying to deal with the increase in pain the fog is looking pretty good.
    My wife has me keep a pill and pain log to track my medication but also to track my pain. I will be bringing this with me today to review with my Dr.
  • Please let me know what the dr comes up with. I am so tired of being in constant pain. I dont sleep well at night because i hurt so bad. My husband doesnt get to sleep much either because i whine i guess everytime i try to move.

Looking forward to hearing what your dr says. I hope he can do something to ease your pain.

I wonder if i should be seeing a neurologist instead of pain management, i noticed alot of people on here see neurologist.
  • first of all we all build up a tolerance to narcotics and this is the first big mistake people do when on narcotics, because it does not seem to work, some will up their dose without their doctor's approval or knowledge. it can also lead to overdoses. i have been on 45 mg of oxycontin and 500micrograms of fenatly in the form of lollipops for over 10 years. if by meaning it does not work anymore, do you mean you do not get the high associated with it or your pain gets worse? if it is worse, then you need to discuss with pain doctor a possible change in meds. bad idea to bring up pain pump at this point. doctors like to go up to different meds and dosage in small incruments. by stating out of the blue, i want to try a pain pump, i assume you want morphine because that is the main drug that is used, it brings up a red flag. you need to discuss a different pill and a different dose and form. a lot of us use oxy because it keeps a constant dosage of oxycodone in your blood stream. i started out with vicodin, then went to methadone, then to 20 mg of oxycontin to 45 mg of oxycontin then the fenatly was added next. then i used fenatyl patches then back to oxy. bad idea to jump from percocet to moprhine pump. maybe to go from percocet to oxycontin would seem to be the most logical step. let your pain doctor be the best judge of what woud be the next best step.if you disagree with his diagnosis or choice of pain meds, then i would try to find a new doctor. changing dose and type of pain meds is a chancy thing to do especially without the input from your doctor. remember pain meds do not get rid of pain all together. you will still have pain no matter what. no med gets rid of all the pain even a combination of meds. there will always be some form of pain that you will have to deal with
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • When I say it is not working, I am meaning that they are not taking the pain away like they did, I am not looking for a high, I am looking to have a quality of life. I have a family and a father who has terminal cancer, that I need to take of. I do not take more pills than I should. I take 4 pills a day as prescribed. That really caught me off-gaurd, your statements. I came here for help. I get enough of people judging me without coming to a forum that is supposed to be helpful and I get that reply. I do not know anything about pain pumps, that is why I asked. I did not know morphine was what they put into the pump. I just want something that can keep my pain tolorable.

I suffer from daily pain from my fusion surgery, just like everone here suffers pain. All i want is for some help with the questions i need to ask my dr about. I didnt know which meds they go to after building up a tolerance to percocet.

It really hurt my feelings, that you think i was seeking something other than something for my pain. I dont even know you but to get that kind of response hurt. I have enough in my life going on without needed replies such as these. Im losing my father and that is the hardest thing in the world. I just want to be in less pain to care for him. Please if you can help, I appreciate it, if you have replies like the above one, please keep them to yourself.

Best to all.
  • I was on Percocet for a month until I saw my Dr. then was put on slow relief morphine MS Contin 30mg. Then went up to twice a day then 3x a day then 4x day for 2 years then switched to Oxycontin 40mg 3x day but managed to only need only 20mg 3x day now and one 5mg percocet for breakthrough pain because I'm packing and moving and having more pain.

It would help doing a pain diary on what makes the pain worse and if you awake in pain. Does the pain radiate or do you have sciatica because I have done well with Cymbalta and Lyrica and anti-inflammatories added with the pain meds.

I had to go constantly to my Dr. to get the right adjustment of pain meds so it was along time relationship and still ongoing. Let your PM Dr. know that the pain meds wear off in how many hours. These Drs know we become tolerant being in chronic pain and hope he helps you.

There's no reason that chronic pain patients have to endure such disbelief that we're in pain and you deserve to have the right amount of pain meds to have tolerable relief.

I'm sorry to hear about your Father and hope you get the help you deserve as a chronic pain patient. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to spine health. We are glad to have you here, but sorry that you have pain that brings you here.The members here are very supportive and full of experiences and advice. It has been so helpful to me.Please don't be discouraged by one post. >:D<

I too am on percocet. My doctor then added an extended release medication MS contin 15 mg twice a day, then 3 times a day, now at 30 mg three times a day. I also take lyrica 150mg twice a day for nerve pain.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a combination, and dosage that helps.Explain to your doctor how you are feeling and that the meds are not helping as well with your pain. They will work with you to find a combination that helps.

I am so sorry that your father is not doing well. We are always here if you need to talk.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Michelle,

We are glad to have you here, and please know that the grand majority of us are not assuming and judgemental. I would believe that we are here because of chronic pain associated with spine disorders, and I also am looking for answers just like you. Try not to be discouraged. The only decent nugget from the original reply you got was maybe to find a different doctor if your current one isn't helping.

Please hang around here, there are many informative threads and other things on here, there are many supportive folks here as well.

Hoping you find relief! :-)

• Thank you everyone for your support. I will talked with the dr and see what his ideas are. This site is very good, with alot of good information, I was just not expecting the response i received from the one post and was somewhat hurt. I look forward to being part of this community.

• Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry for that one post, it was totally out of line and you definately didn't deserve it. The major, majority of people on this site are not judgemental like that. I am so sorry for the pain you are enduring, and for your father. I hope you stay around, you will find so many genuine people here that are willing to help in any way they can. Sometimes even if it is just for a shoulder to cry on, or to have a pity party together. This site will give you all the information you could ever think about for different procedures and types of doctors that are out there. We are very happy to have you here, and look forward to getting to know you better, and hopefully help you feel better. Take care.

• I have been on percocets since a failed fusion in 93 ,failed scs,failed injections,i take 3 percs a day 2 months ago tryed 25mcg fentynl patch,then went to 50mcg,that is too strong for me.i quite them,sleepy,didnt feel right driving,going to ask for the 25mcg wasnt as sleepy,not dizzy driving.i know nothing will stop the pain but wow this really makes you mean,misserable,depressed,any body have any advice about this? Rick ncpa
  • I was reading up on the percocet last night and realized that the max dose is 6 a day, maybe I just need to have the dr. Adjust the dose.

• How many percocets are you taking right now? It depends on the doctor, some like to add a long acting med since it releases the medication over time (8-12 hours) I was taking 6 percs a day so they put me on the ms contin (15 then 30/ 3 times a day)I was then only taking about 3 percocet a day. Unfortunately my pain increased and has continued so far after surgery (only a little over a week ago)and am now taking 5-6 percocet a day again.
    Talk it over with your doctor and I hope that you find something that gives you more relief.

you are in my thoughts.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am taking them every 6 hours. So I am taking 4 a day. I will asked the dr about something long acting. I have my monthly appt next Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.