Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

False Positive in my Urine test for Fentanyl (Duragesic)

beth1954bbeth1954 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Medications
I had a urine test in June at my Pain Management doctor's office. When I went to my appointment this week, she told me that there was a trace of Fentanyl in my June's urine test. I haven't been on Fentanyl since April! I don't even have any. I am the one who wanted to get off of them!
Now I feel like they don't believe a word I say. I told her that I hadn't taken any and she said "Well, it's there." where I work they do random drug tests. If that would show up I would be in alot of trouble!!
Does anyone know how that would happen??

• What other medications are you taking, including over the counter and herbals, vitamins? Sometimes, other foods or medications may break down into other opiate metabolites, but I am unaware of any that break down into fentanyl metabolites. The test done for fentanyl is a specific test, not one of the standard screens done in the office. I was on fentanyl for some time and I know that the test for it had to be requested separately from the standard screen. I just did some reading and can't find anything that references fentanyl or it's metabolites showing up because of another medication. I think that I would request that they retest the original sample if they still have it available.
    If you didn't take it, and haven't in some time, I would have requested that they either retest the sample, or do a blood test to confirm the presence of fentanyl, rather than let it slide.
    Having it show up , when it is not a medication that you take regularly by prescription may cause further problems. Did they retest you?
    If you ever test negative or positive for a substance that you have not taken, the best option is to request they retest the sample or a blood level test at the time you are told. At least if it is an error there is a second test to dispute the original result.
  • You know, Sandi, I never even thought to ask that!! I did have to give another urine sample this week, so I'll find out what it says. Yes, this pain clinic does very specific tests. They have a list of things like Fentanyl, Soma, Vicodin, all the morphines, etc. that they test for to see if you are taking something you aren't supposed to take. AND if you are on Vicodin (which I am) if not enough of it shows up, you get questioned too!!
    I am on Trazodone, Zoloft, Neurontin, Clonapen,Vicodin, Flexeril,Flecanaide, Metoprolol, Advil. Nothing else over the counter except Advil.
    Thanks for your response!!
  • Also remember that these drugs are processed by the liver and kidneys. Their exact biochemistry allows them to "hang around" for a fairly significant time.

Blood chemistry results can be different from urine chemistry. So, that being said, if you "pop positive" for a drug you are not taking, you have the right to a retest as the results are posted against you for all physicians and insurance people to see, if they "have a need to know". The retest right is in-place so that you can manage, defend, and remain pro-active in your treatments.

I do hope you come back "clean" on this round of trace testing.

Just remember, this is YOUR health, YOUR records, and YOUR integrity. YOU own it and have the rights to defend whatever comes up, or is diagnosed.

I do not mean to come across as a drill sergeant, but it's kind of my nature.... I mean only the best intentions and wish you all the strength to get better on your journey.

All the Best,
  • Sean, I do not take your comments as coming from a drill Sergeant.....I completely understand. I will ask to have a blood test if it happens again. I would like for them to take that off my record, though. I just hate that that happened. I feel like they won't trust me now, and I SWEAR TO GOD that I did not use Duragesic/fentanyl, and haven't since April!! I was so confused and I guess upset that I didn't question it any further.
  • BjayBBjay Posts: 1
    edited 09/03/2015 - 2:52 PM
    One of the least reliable drug test in urine is fentanyl. This is a fact seldom admitted. You can ask for the more reliable lab tests
    I'm not sure of it's reliability in blood tests if it exist

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    there is a specific test to isolate fentanyl.

The reports do indicate that the test is accurate, especially, since it is almost impossible to dictate it in normal drug screening tests . (as Bjay commented above)

However, from what I have read, the test needs to be registered in advance and I am not completely clear on how it is administered.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.