Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD and herniation treatment advice

IsagenixIIsagenix Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I am 36 years old and weigh 180 lbs and have come down with chronic lower back pain over the past few years. I lost 100 lbs and have become more active, but the doctors have said that these issues have existed for a while without having the pain. I was diagnosed (MRI) with DDD from L4 through S1 and I have herniated disc L5/S1 and a small one L4/L5. So far I have had the following done.

Epidural Cortisone injections
S.I. joint- Cortisone injections bilateral twice
Facet joint- Cortisone injections bilateral twice
Facet joint- ablation

I have been going to therapy, chiropractic, traction and acupuncture for almost 2 years and I seem to get slight relief with adjustments. Within a few hours the pain is as intense as before the treatments. I have more recently been getting stretched with MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) techniques while conscious since I am flexible and have no pain with the stretching. It actually feels very good to stretch that far.

My neurosurgeon (very respected in the area) has gone over everything and suggested a spinal fusion, but that's not his first choice since I am 36 years old. He advises there is no guarantee that the pain will go away with the procedure. He advises against a discectomy since I have no sciatic pain.

I'm looking for other procedures that might help this constant lower back pain. It is centralized in the lower back right in the L4-S1 area and is extreme after waking up. I can still run with minimal pain several times a week. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Monmouth County NJ area.

• Great to hear of your weight loss. Have you tried swimming or aqua-therapy with a Physiotherapist for exercise? I hope you're running on a treadmill instead of hard pavement as that won't be good for the back.

Have you had a second opinion from another Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon to see what they think and if surgery is right for you? Hopefully others may have more suggestions for you but hope you get some pain relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN