Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
Had an appointment yesterday with my neurologist and among the things discussed was the increased hypersensitivity I am experiencing in my leg and that when this happens my lower leg gets very cold. Not just a sensation of cold but actually several degrees colder than the other leg.
I was informed that I am now having problems with my sympathetic nerves in my leg and have Reflext Sympathetic Dystrophy. I have to increase my Physical therapy and keep my fingers crossed that we can get this nerve operating again. Anybody have to deal with this after a major nerve injury? Has anybody had success in reversing the effects?

• I have had the condition it is called RSD(crps). Your doctor is a 100% correct keeping the effected area moving is the proper way to treat it. I got it in my foot and up to my knee following foot surgery. To diagnose mine they did a 3-d bone scan, and it showed on it. Besides the physical therapy I also did injections into the sympathetic nerve(done in the back), under fluoroscopic guidance. If you don't keep the leg moving it will only continue to get worse. I had mine to the point that anything touching me, such as a sock, shower water, shoes, pants, covers and so on would put me in tears. I am happy to say mine is in remission, for the most part. I still get those feelings slightly on a on going basis and as soon as it starts i get my foot moving. I also had it where it looked as though my foot and leg was burned and it would be off temp wise a few degrees from the other leg and foot. You might find that even any air blowing on it will make it very uncomfortable. As far as home therapy I practiced with different touch sensations. For example trying to keep a sock on for a minute, going from cold water to warm water, for as long as I could hold it. I would touch my leg with different types of materials and see if I could handle it. Then of course I had a walking program to go with it. I was at physical therapy everyday for 6 months, letting them do their thing. By the time mine was found I was not walking so we started in the pool and graduated to the floor.

My point is this is not anything to fool with and while I know it HURTS, and hurts like" H E double L. You have to get it moving. You might cry now with pain but getting past it is important so your not crying the rest of your life in pain. I would be in therapy with a towel in my mouth gripping it with my teeth in tears and screaming into the towel, but it had to be done. Put your mind some place else and go with the treatments and hopefully this will pass. In the end it all paid off and mine is in remission, I am happy to say. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep me posted.
  • Thanks TamTam for the information.
    I am at the point where I cant were a shoe or pants because anything touching it brings severe pain. I have been in PT for a year now because of the nerve damage but am stepping it up to 3 times a week and the other 4 days Ill be doing the routine from home.
    I had this hypersensivity when I was first injured last year but those pains had subsided a bit until about a month ago. At least it takes my mind off of the stabbing and crushing pains I get from the rest of the nerve damage :-)
    Ill keep you posted.
  • You cant wear pants or shoes so you going to pt in the nude? Oh boy. Google dmso and check it out see what you think about it
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I think blue headband and sunglasses would complete the look. :)
  • I never mentioned I am a nudist? hehe.
    I wear very loose shorts and sandles to PT. I start the increased visits this week and hope we can get this under control. I have enough problems without this one.
This discussion has been closed.