Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Guidelines to read before you post

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
edited 11/18/2014 - 4:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Welcome to our back and neck pain forums! We are so glad you are joining our conversation.

The goal of these forums is to offer support to people who are struggling with back and neck pain. We hope you can learn from each other in a positive and uplifting environment.

Use this opportunity to discuss your health situation and how it has affected you physically, socially, mentally, and emotionally. Back and neck pain can profoundly change people's lives.

To ensure responses, please read over all of our available topics, and post under the topic-or condition- that is most closely related to your health issue. Read threads that cover your condition so you can benefit from all the collective wisdom that is already here.

The overall objective for this site is to provide detailed information regarding spinal condition and treatments. Visit our home page, www.spine-health.com to conduct further research on your condition.

Finally, consider these forums as a support-group at its best, without seeing one another face to face.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I just want to thank you with all of my heart and soul for creating and fostering such a wonderful website and source of support. Thank you, I just found YOU.. all of you.. so now I understand that I AM NOT ALONE.
  • Welcome jagjones. Do you have a spine issue? Interesting poem but please introduce yourself and share what spine issues you have and if you have any questions many here can posibly help. Otherwise i can only try to posibly come up with some music to the lyrics to the poem. Welcome again and please give us a brief description of your condition.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    While the words were nice and belong in some other media, I could not see the reason for it being on our site.

I've PM'd the member to better understand their objective and purpose for registering at Spine-Health.
    If I do not receive any response, the post/member will be deleted.

We have too many spammers taking up way too much of everyone's time here.
  • Excellent thread. I know for me in the reading and posting department, if the new member would initially "introduce" themselves in depth in the New Member Introductions, folks would know their issues.

A small (3-5 line) signature, and fill in the health history, they would get more responses. What bums is when they hijack a thread instead of having one of their own, or maybe replying in said established thread that "They have the same thing, how is it going with you? How did you get help, or could they..." etc.

Spammers...my pet peeve! (G) Been gone for a few days, but they were getting ridiculous as far as I can see. 1 post is bad enough, but 20-50 or more, good grief. Totally screws up the thread order, possibly causing a members post requesting help or assistance to slip through the cracks..sigh.. Back to my corner. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I come back and trying to find posts and all I see is one name about 20x! It makes it hard to support someone when their post is lost because of spammers. So I hope if anyone hasn't got a response to your post please post again. It's just not right thinking we would buy anything from spammers. Grrr.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I did not realize that I was expected to detail my problem, I AM NOT A SPAMMER BY ANY MEANS! I do apologize for any confusion, I placed my poem on my profile because that is my source of comfort when I have not much else.. it was in no means meant to anger nor entice anyone here.. I feel like I have been beat up in a fight by several people right now simply because of perception. Listen, I am in fact a 2 yr. lumbar spine chronic pain sufferer, who suffered a workplace injury on September 21, 2010 which caused annular tears at L4-L5 and l5-S1 along with bulging of both discs ( one is almost bone on bone with little to no fld in between the vertebra). The injury severely worsened my condition which was what I suppose was some form of DDD and sciatica. I am going thru a worker's comp case and have felt very frustrated and hurt by the way that I have been treated.. If only one of those adjusters could feel 1/4 of the pain that I experience on a daily basis, than I believe that their actions and words would be quite different!
    I only sought to find a source of solace and help from others who know what I am going thru, the pain, the sorrow, the fear, the depressed moods at times, the pain.. I said pain twice on purpose... I meant no harm with my poem, Like I said it ismy artistic escape from the NOW.. the reality that by the time that I am 40 that I may be crippled because of my spinal condition.
    I am awaiting trial, the adjuster's are fighting me tooth and nail, and in a way I understand due to me having a pre-existing back condition, but it is not the same.. I did everything that I could to make sure that I was as healthy as possible, including losing nearly 60 lbs!
    So there is a small chunk of my story.. so I hope now that you will not delete my account because this is the first time that I can honestly say that I have the chance to meet and develop relationships with others who truly understand what I am going thru and vice-versa.

Thank you.
  • Crystal
    I think I pretty much did the same thing to .. I was reading posts and got so excited that I found people that actually cared and understood that I started typing like crazy. I forgot no one knew what I was going through but that I was able to saywhat I felt lol ... I to am sorry for doing that. When you deal with it for so long sometimes the excitement of insight from someone else doesn't make you think clear esp when the pain and depression and anxiety have you all messed up as it is.... We are all learning and getting support from eachother
  • I just wanted to say thank you to NurseL.. I appreciate your reassurance, and your guidance. I only wish that those who pointed fingers and got so brusque would have been humble enough to at least apologize for being so harsh. While I am not trying to rehash the past, nor start any issues here on this site (of which again I am truly thankful to God for, you just don't know),BUT.. it just seems like after reading my second post that at least the moderator would have been kind enough to at least welcome me and make me feel more comfortable, I mean none of us here even truly wish that we HAD to seek this forum, site, etc... I mean truly, it is a harsh reality for ALL of us to have to face on a second by second and all day everyday basis, and it hurts. So... in other words I really mean to ask you dear moderator and all of us to just remember that we are all humans and that while there are actually individuals and groups of individuals who are vultures and who really seek to monopolize others and their grievances (*ie spammers).. BUT when it became known to you that I in fact was not a spammer, a vulture, a dishonest person, but rather a human being, with similar issues and hurts just like all of you, I feel as if their should have been someone in A POSITION OF LEADERSHIP who actually took the time to WELCOME ME just as quickly as the questioning of my character occurred. I may seem overtly sensitive, but, it doesn't matter to me what you perceive as far as my emotions are concerned, I truly only hope that NEXT time, if there is someone like me who happens to find this site and source of brotherhood/sisterhood, who mistakenly just posts a message expressing their glee at finding this site, that even if you all initially perceive that persons intentions as wrong, that after the person humbly clears things up, that you would be just as humble to at least make them feel comfortable and say hello and welcome! It is so important to be humble and kind, you never know just who you might be affecting, and who you may be able to help, just by being HUMBLE AND KIND. Please, think about it.. I am serious.. because we never know how much power there is in a kind gesture or word. Thank you.
  • I was responding to Ron`s posts about spammers and it was not aimed at you in any way. It was about someone else who had taken about about 20 posts about a spam site. We`re here to support anyone who has spine issues. I hope you can feel at home here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to spine health. Sorry to hear about your pain issues and your struggle with W.C.

You have come to a great place, full of support. It would be great if you could put your introduction above and put it in a new thread in the new members area. That way more people will see it, know your story and welcome you.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I would like to introduce myself, I am Anne and I am along time pain suffer. Two back surgeries with in the last 22 years. I hope I can find answers to my questions regarding pain relief and other possible surgeries. I do have one question though, does anyone know if there has ever been anyone allergic to the material the hardware is made of?
  • Good evening everyone. My name is David. Ive had back, neck, shoulder, knee pain for years; but when I went to Clinic here in Memphis about 8 wks ago, I told them this is new and somewhat frightening. No major injuries or trauma, but seemingly out of the blue, I began to feel numbness in my right arm. Over the next week, it accelerated to my right hand and fingers, followed closely by shoulder pain. The neck pain didnt come on until a week later, but is now the worst part of all. We started with a medrol pack, didnt work, then an MRI which showed bulge c5 c6 and of course pinched nerves. Scheduled a cervical epidural which has helped with the numbness. That was two weeks ago. The followup the week after showed new and MUCH more intense pain in c7 t1. Did direct injections just this Friday....and again the pain is different. I know I need to wait another week for results, but I feel my journey is just beginning. So thats where Im at, I will search for existing threads and posts, but any advice or links would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Ok.. I admit I never thought about that.. thank you for the advice, and thank you for the warm welcome!

ouch2 said:
    Welcome to spine health. Sorry to hear about your pain issues and your struggle with W.C.

You have come to a great place, full of support. It would be great if you could put your introduction above and put it in a new thread in the new members area. That way more people will see it, know your story and welcome you.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
  • Hi, I wanted to introduce myself and my issues...I had microdiscectomy/laminectomy in May 2011 and now, 5 months later am not feeling at all what I had hoped...in the past couple of days have noticed that my lower back at surgery site seems to be very depressed, almost caved in-a co-worker even made the comment that it "looks like another butt"-great! I have recently had more pain in my left butt cheek, whereas prior to surgery was always in right only. I have slight scoliosis, fibro which has caused horrible muscular issues which are helped only by massage...absolutely love my chiropractor and am going to see him this afternoon as I trust him implicitly and this indentation of the surgery area is really worrisome...has anyone else ever seen or experienced this type of issue? A friend who had the same surgery, followed less than a year later by a fusion, says that something should've been put in my back where they removed bone? Any advice is appreciated...
  • I hope I didnt just rant and rave but I do thank you for the site and a place to at least get some help I didnt see pre listed,
  • rnnomrerrnnomre New Jersey Posts: 5
    I suppose I was expecting to reach out to others for information in pain management and other areas surrounding the issues dealing with the frustrations of unmannaged spinal pain. It is true though, I don't want to frustrate anyone who may eventually be supportive. I lost my professional job, that I loved, years ago due to fibromyalgia flares. Now I have to deal with advanced osteoarthritic bone spurs compromising 2 cervial nerves. Can't type too long either or stay on the computer. On Butrans patch and having problems. Read some of the material and responces. Now, at a loss. Looks like its back on the long acting narcotics. Just thought this site could help but, I'm not even sure if I'm using it correctly.
    The best way to get started is to look through our FAQ which is available on the member forum menu lineup.

You will find a wealth of medical information on this site. Tons of detailed articles and videos on the main side.

Then on the member forum side (which you are on now), you can reach out to thousands of other folks that are dealing with some sort of spinal problem.

You can exchange ideas, ask questions and many times use this as a support group.
  • Thanks for the read before posting information. I intend to do so. I am one-week post-op ACDF and can share/learn from other's experiences.
  • Hi, thank you for your posting information. I am 59 years old and have had cervical fusion in 2011 (did great) and a prior failed laminectomy and partial discectomy, in 2010.
    I am looking for info on a 360 lumbar fusion. I am to have one on Monday and am scared.
    I have been looking at the videos and the info on your website. Thank you and God Bless. Mary Anne
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • It's called Internet Etiquette.

It explains the basic and advanced rules of participating with others on the Internet.

Regardless of what forum you go on you should understand these basic rules.

• I looked for this in forum rules and faqs, and I could have very well missed it, this old grandma is not used to being on the meds I'm on! Anyway, now the hubs and I feel like I've entered into a new chapter of my life since I had surgery. It's not a big deal if I cannot do this, but I'm wondering - is there a way to change your user name? Again, if I missed seeing a rule on it, I'm sorry and also though I'd like to, it certainly isn't the end of the world if I cannot change it.

Hope everyone is having as pain free a day as possible!
    I am who I am!
    If you want a new member name, please let me know what it is.
    As long as it isnt already taken or offensive, I can make the change. Your password, messages and forums/posts remain intact
  • tatorsalad81ttatorsalad81 Posts: 1
    edited 06/28/2012 - 3:40 PM
    I think this is a great place and I am very inspired by all the stories. I am also a Chronic Pain patient. I have DDD, I have had a spinal surgery on Feb 9th 2012, the weeks leading up to the surgery I was encouraged by this website, but was kind of reluctant to join. I finally decided to join hoping to give someone else the same encouragement I have received from this web site.
  • Hello to all of you on this forum,

I suffered a herniation at c6-c7 in late February 2012, and by the end of March I was in agony, could no longer use my left arm, and it was clear that I needed to do something about it. I was experiencing nerve pain in my arm, under my scapula, and under my armpit at the base of my lat, and this pain was so severe that I had to carry my arm in a sling. I could barely sleep at night, able to lie only flat on my back. It was pure hell. I had surgery to remove the disc bits on April 9, 2012. I hate taking pain meds, but believe me before the surgery I was all too happy to take them! I had the surgery at NY Presbyterian in Manhattan, and all things considered it was a great experience (everyone there was really professional and super competent). I took pain meds for the first 3 days after surgery and then stopped.

Immediately after the surgery the severe pain was gone, and since then I have been recovering from surgery with the occasional setback, but for the most part the trajectory has been steadily upward. Four months on I have only residual issues with numbness in my index finger, and if I do too much lifting of anything, I get a day or two of nerve pain. I still have slight weakness in my triceps, in spite of doing all the PT exercises faithfully with the rubber bands, but that too is subsiding. In comparing my condition now to the month before surgery it is as though I received a new lease on life.

I am 54 years old, male, and I have always been very active, running, weight lifting, playing soccer and other sports, backpacking, etc. In fact, I was about 6 weeks into a round of P90X when I realized that I had the problem (I suspect it was already injured for the past few years, but only became exacerbated by the intense workouts). I assume that I won't be able to workout like that anymore, or at least that is what my doctors tell me, but I want to know what I can reasonably expect for future workouts, so anyone who has had similar situation I would be happy to hear from, especially if you are farther down the road than I.

For anyone who is suffering, I offer my take that the surgery was 100% the correct route to go for me. But talk to at least 2 surgeons and read as much as you can. It is scary to think about getting it done, but the thought of living in that kind of pain was just not an option. For those suffering, my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Best wishes,
  • Hi I am a new member. I am 24 years old and was in a bike accident. I had many injuries including 5 broken vertabrae in my back. Just came across this site, and looks very useful!
  • Hello fellow pain people. Have been coming to this site for awhile now and thought I''d jump right in. Briefly I'm a young 60 yr old female with Fibromyalgia (20+ yrs), cervical stenosis (not too bad) and severe lumbar stenosis with all the goodies attached. I had a hard time accepting that stenosis diagnosis because I have very little to no lower back pain but my legs are killing me!! I've had 3 steroid injections under Xray and they only seem to last a couple weeks and the cramping is back. I've had more than my share of pain in my life but there is nothing as bad as a charley horse in a big thigh muscle, that won't quit! It brings me to tears. My Fibro was well under control but lately I'm feeling an increase of all over pain and I'm not sleeping good.

I'm really needing to vent here. I've always been a very active person and this is really "cramping" my style (pun intended)
    My grandkids aren't getting what they bargained for in a grandma! The meds don't help much. They only make it tolerable. When I'm asked where it hurts my reply wants to be "where doesn't it hurt!" but I'm not one to complain...except now. I've had a really active lifestyle but a very serious car accident and a few jumps out of a plane probably has taken its toll on my spine. So, I'll eagerly read everyones posts, but I can't sit here much longer, cause a gripping pain is running down my thigh and around my knee. Oh yes, one consolation...I've got a doctors appointment on OCTOBER 3rd!! I think I have to do something before then. Thanks for listening...I'm still smiling
  • Thanks for the post! :)

Hi there! I'm a newbie here.
  • Hi I'm 54, female and suffering chronic back pain, spasm etc. I have posted in the Chronic back pain forum and look forward to any help /advice offered
  • Hi- My name is Steve. Thank you for welcoming me to your support 'home'. I'm certain in the months to come this site will become my go-to source of info and support. I'm scheduled for ACDF surgery (level four C3-C7 w/autograft and hardware) on September 24th. Thanks again. -Steve
    steve in chicago
This discussion has been closed.