Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days postop...is this normal?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 8 days postop and still have no energy. I had a 2-level thoracic discectomy done posteriorly. I have stopped taking my pain meds because I don't like how drowsy they make me, so I've been taking motrin when the pain gets too bad. I'm just wondering when I can expect to have my energy back again. I still can't get around without my walker...not just because of the pain but because I feel so darn weak. I've had other surgeries before, but this is by far the most difficult recovery I've ever had. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling pretty down right now.

• I am now 9 days post op(2 level discectomy) and know how you feel. I am still in as much or more pain as before surgery and also don't have energy. I have been trying to take short walks (with cane) but don't get very far before I have to lie back down. Don't push yourself. Our bodies are trying to recover and we need a lot of rest. Frequent walking is important as well,resting in between.

Hang in there Kim, we will get there!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Kim,

Here's- hopig that your energy starts coming back. Every time I've had a operation in which I've been knocked out it always surprises me how long it takes to start feeling better. Seems like the more I have the longer it takes to feel better. I think you may be not helping yourself by not taking your pain meds as they will help take the edge off even though you don't want to feel drowsy. Maybe try taking half pills and see if you can strike a balance to feeling better. I do know that pain will sap any energy that you might have had. At least its that way for me. You still pretty early for feeling better especially for the location of your surgery. Most people start getting some energy back at the 2-3 week mark but you have also had one of the tougher areas to be operated on.

Hope you start feeling zippy soon.
  • Yep, normal. Back surgery is major surgery. After 2weeks, you will feel a little better but trust me that it will take at least 6weeks before you see a difference. Then you will do more...and get tired again. From there it will start to get better but expect 6-12 weeks. Your body is healing from major surgery.

• I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well. I go in and out of energy highs and lows. I hit these lulls that just knock me out. We need to make sure we take it easy. The lack of energy is our body telling us to chill. I agree that you should be on some meds to help you heal. My instructions FORBID the use of anti-inflammatory pills for 8 weeks so please check that it is ok. I had neck surgery so I think mine is a bit easier than your lumbar region. Chin up. Try to be positive. This is all part of the recovery process. :)
  • Mommy02 is right, you need to check on the anti-inflammatory medication. I also had neck surgery and it is much easier for us but I know that I have been really tired today and I had felt like I was doing so well. It made me feel like I was having a really bad day but it was just 1 day.
    Just keep going.
  • How has your energy been lately? Here's to hoping you are seeing improvements.

P.s. How do I make that lil bio at the botto of my posts so others can see what I have had done.
  • Kim
    Go easy on yourself - your body has been through major trauma - after 8 days the anesthetic probably hasn't even cleared your system completely!

Are you sure on the motrin? - My Dr forbade any anti-inflammatories for 3 months as inflammation is part of the healing process so, if you are not on narcotics then maybe Tylenol instead? - ask your Dr.

You are allowed to be tired! - enjoy the rest - your body needs it
  • Thanks guys! I'm feeling a TON better now, at 13 days post-op. Yup, I'm completely sure on the anti-inflammatories, because my doctor called the prescription in to the pharmacy.