Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op depression?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm so sorry to bombard all of you with a thousand questions, but I'm just not sure who else to turn to. This is by far the biggest surgery I've ever had. I remember feeling nervous, anxious, excited, etc, leading up to the surgery. Then it was suddenly here, and now 9 days has passed. The pain, for the first few days, was unreal. I was being pumped full of pain meds and steroids, and it was barely helping. Now that seems to be subsiding, and it's moreso incisional pain than anything else. I still feel very weak and have been using my walker to get around when I'm walking longer distances. I force myself to shower and take a short walk every day, but I just feel so useless. I feel as if the last 9 days have been a complete blur. I feel like all I've been doing is sleeping. I hate that I've missed out on 9 days of summer fun with my kids. Is it normal to feel like this after surgery? The littlest things are making me cry today, and it's absolutely ridiculous. I hate feeling so damn fragile. Please tell me this is normal and it will get better! I go back to UPenn next Wednesday to have my sutures taken out and my incision checked. If I'm not feeling better by then, I'll definitely talk to them about it. I know the steroids I was on can cause mood swings, so perhaps it's a result of that. I've stopped the steroids, under the supervision of my doctor, so maybe it'll just take some time for my body to adjust. Any suggestions on things I can do to start feeling normal again? I'm counting down the days until I start my new job (August 8th), because then I feel like I'll start to feel functional again.

• Kim, everyone is different of course, but a lot of times reading about others experiences can help us to put our own into perspective. Because there are so many different issues both big and small that affect us (before & after surgery) it can sometimes feel like we forget what normal is, getting lost or caught up in the moment/s of what is happening to us. That is normal until we look around and notice that (once again), we are not alone.

I hope you are feeling better.
  • With the upheaval in your life, the affects on your body, and the medications it is very normal to have some depression. It's good that you are aware of it, and can talk to others about it as needs be. In another week you will probably feel quite a bit better. Just listen to your body.

Maybe you could read with your kids, or read something you like. If it's nice weather you could sit outside and watch the kids play. Maybe do some scrapbooking or putting photos in an album or some other sedentary project that you've been meaning to do, but were busy running after the kids. If you take care of yourself, and pace yourself, you'll feel better faster than if you try to jump in too fast to get more active.

Take care.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • You are normal. Going from an active mom to one who is relying on others and other things to get around, being exhausted from routine activities that are only a fraction of the things you normally do...is depressing. It will get better. It takes time. It was the toughest thing about recovery. Give it to week 6 and if you are still depressed, talk to your doctor. Nit is not uncommon during recovery to be prescribed anti depressants.

I bet once you see the doctor, you will feel a bit better.
  • Surgery is a huge insult to your body on all levels. Since you have been on the forum for a while, I'm sure you have seen other people go thru what you are dealing with, so give yourself some slack...it is normal not to feel normal.

Pace yourself, try to rest often in between your walks. Don't do too much!!! The first three weeks of any surgery is generally difficult.

I found that a setting up a routine helped me tremendously. I still have to pace myself, and I'm 20 months postop fusion.

Take care,

• Having had 4 back surgeries and 3 fusions I can say that you go thru a range of emotions and feelings after surgery.And everyone is different and each of my surgeries I reacted a little differently. Besides my pain meds I am on a muscle relaxer 2x a day and have been on anti-depressants for years. The surgeries change your life and sometimes its hard to adjust back. I was a competitive athlete so it was a blow to me to have all these surgeries but I got myself a pedometer to keep track of my walking. Sometimes its the little things that get you thru the day. And sometimes you just have to let some things go and step back. Recovery takes so much energy, sleeping is good. Keep us posted on how things go.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.