Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

XLIF failed to decompress; now what?

watchyurbackwwatchyurback Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
To my surprise, I found out recently that the extreme lateral interbody fusion (XLIF) procedure I had in October failed to remove disc material that continues to press on nerves at L3-L4. Why did my surgeon not inform me that this minimally invasive procedure also seems to be minimally effective?
I'm shocked that I went through the operation and the lengthy recovery only to find (on an MRI last week) that the herniation that had been causing my pain pre-operatively is still there, pressing against the nerves in my spine. This type of fusion does not remove all the disc material; in fact, quite a lot of it is still there.
I'm just so disappointed, because the XLIF was my third surgery following two previous operations to fuse L4 to S1. Now I face another surgery to do what I thought the XLIF would do. This is such a mess.
My pain is unbearable. I take one to two Norco per day, divided into halves, but even that does not help much. I feel pretty groggy and "drugged" after two pills. I can't continue like this and am hoping a consultation scheduled with another surgeon in another city will lead to some kind of relief, even if it means another surgery and all the pain and discomfort associated with an operation.
Anybody else here have similar problems with XLIF or other procedures that were billed as minimally invasive? I know micro-discectomies are often ineffective in the long run because of the risk of re-herniation. It never occurred to me that a fusion would not include a full discectomy. I'm at a total loss.

• there are so many variables like your fitness your age and sex and previous medical history .and then the main one the quality of the consultant doing the operation .a decent consultant will NEVER guarantee the out come and they will give you the facts not a fairy story .i am due ALIF soon and i have been told {My my consultant who is one of the uk's best} that due to the state of my spine ..i should not expect miracles and i WILL still be in PAIN FOR EVER .so you may ask yourself ..why is backache99 having this awful operation?? well its to prevent MORE damage and sometime that's the reason that ALIF/PLIF/XLIF ARE DONE ..but not every consultant will tell you that .my advice would be to talk to your consultant about your back and if you are not happy find another recommended consultant .if you are in the UK i can give you my guys name but be prepared for a very long wait ..i have been waited nearly 12 months .i do hope that you get sorted out after what you have been through
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014