Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why so dizzy?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the most part, the pain has been getting better and better. I'm off of the steroids, under my docs advice, and haven't taken any pain meds, other than Motrin, in about two days. My doc has me on Motrin 800 mgs every 8 hours. It's been 10 days since my surgery, and every time I stand up I get very, very weak and dizzy. I'm still using the walker for support, just because I feel so weak. I've been getting up and showering and going for short walks every day, as well as trying to keep moving around the house as much as I can tolerate. I'm making sure to eat well and drink plenty of fluids. I DO have a heart condition, which can cause arrhythmias, but I haven't noticed any palpitations or anything of the sort, and my heart rate seems to be normal...maybe a little on the higher side when I'm up and walking. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much for 10 days post-op? I've had other surgeries before (gallbladder, appendix, fissure repair, eye surgery at the age of 3), so I'm not stranger to this kind of stuff. But, it's never taken me so long to get back to feeling at least somewhat normal. Is this dizzy/weak feeling a normal part of recovery from spine surgery? Of course it's Saturday so the doctor is not in the office, and I don't want to make a big deal of it if it's nothing. But I am also fearful of being home alone and something happening. Thoughts?

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    What other meds are you on??

Orthostatic hypotension is a common side effect of many different meds (sudden drop in BP when standing up).

I would look at all of the meds that you are on an see if this is listed as a side effect.

Also make sure you are adequtely hydrated. (drinking enough fluids)(as you already mentioned)

And as always - Contact your physician(s) and let them know that this is going on, get their feedback,
    and follow their reccomendations.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!