Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

glimmers of hope

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, here we are at 11 days post-op and I think I'm starting to see some glimmers of hope. I've been good about getting up and showering and taking short walks down the street mostly every day since I've been home. Yesterday I decided to venture out with my husband and kids. We were out of the house for a good 3 hours or so. It was probably a bit much for my first time really out, and I was really feeling terrible by the time I got home, but I was so proud of myself for having done it. We took the kids to splash/play at a local fountain, got some ice cream, and got my daughter's hair cut. My best friend came along with her son, so she was able to help with the kids as well. I had my walker in hand, and I was able to sit in the shade for most of the time.

I was debating on whether I should go or not, but I've been struggling with quite a bit of depression since coming home from the hospital, and I believe a lot of it has to do with not being able to care for my family as I was able to before. I know that in the end, this will hopefully help to improve my quality of life, but for now it's really been taking a toll on me. My kids were at my parents' house all day on Friday while I was at home, and I spent most of the day sleeping. When I would wake up, I'd start crying for no apparent reason. Once my husband brought the kids home after work, all of a sudden my mood completely changed, and I felt so relieved to have my family with me.

Today will be a fairly relaxing day. I'm in a lot of pain today and have already taken two doses of Motrin, which is more than I really should have taken. But I simply cannot take the narcotics.

Since stopping all of the narcotics and the steroids, I've been taking 800 mg of Motrin every eight hours, as prescribed by my doctor. However, there have been times that it seems to wear off before the eight hours and I've taken an extra dose. They said it was fine to resume anti-inflammatories after 6 days, and I'm well beyond that point. They called in the higher prescription of Motrin for me, so they are fine with me taking it. The Motrin has definitely been helping to keep my pain pretty well managed, but I have to take it at exactly 8 hours or sometimes a little before. The biggest issue with the Motrin is that it is killing my stomach. I take it with a full glass of water or milk and food, but I'm still finding my stomach isn't liking it. However, it's managing the pain quite well, so I feel as if I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot. For now the back pain/incisional pain is the worse of the two evils, so I'll continue taking the Motrin. I'm hoping that in the coming days, I can start to taper off of the Motrin as my back continues to heal.

So, that's my 11 day post-op update. Yesterday was the most positive I've felt since the surgery, and getting out of the house and spending the day with my family really was the key. I'll continue to pace myself, but ideally I'd like to continue to increase my activity little by little.

• Glad to hear you are improving. I have also been a bit emotional lately. I miss my children and can't wait till they come home. My wife however doesn't so I hope she feels differently by the end of next week.

Sounds like you had a great time with your family. Three hours? Just a ride to the bank and back on Friday was torture enoug for me. It's about 45 min round trip.

Have a great day.

• lol Alvin, I feel your pain! My husband is completely stressed out by the kids these days, but my days revolve around when I'm going to see them next. Seeing them and watching them play, even if I can't pick them up on my own, makes me feel connected and not so alone.

Yeah, the 3 hours was a bit much, but it did wonders for my emotional state. I truly believe that the emotional aspect of our recovery is just as important as the physical aspect. Of course when the increased pain hit later on, I found myself questioning why the heck I pushed myself so much. But watching the kids running around playing and laughing and having fun totally made it all worth it.

Today I'll take it easy, though...I promise!
  • Speaking of laughing,I have had to be careful what I watch because of how much it hurts. I have even asked my wife to leave the room a few times when we started laughing together. :))(
  • lol...same thing happened to me, especially while I was in the hospital. My mom and sister came to visit and had me laughing, and it hurt so bad.