Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery update

LexusLLexus Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well it's been 18 days since I had surgery and I've seen my doctor for the 2 week check. He said everything looks great. I had C6-7 Anterior Cervical Diskectomy and fusion. My surgery was done as an outpatient I went in at 6 that morning and went home by 1 in the afternoon. My doctor didn't have me wear a collar which I'm so glad I didn't have to. I'm really feeling great sometimes I even forget I've had surgery and that concerns me. I do get a little tried. I fear I will do to much and hurt myself. My doctor has me off from work for 6 weeks, which is not a problem I have plenty of sick leave days. I'll be bored out of my mind by the time 6 weeks are up. But I don't want to go back to soon. Any suggestions to help with boredom? I did forget to ask my doctor what restrictions I have at this point. I plan on calling him tomorrow but wanted to hear from you guys on the restrictons you had at this point. I will be going back to the doctor in 2 months along with an x-ray I will need to get a couple days before the appointment.

• Hey Lexus,
    I hope your recovery goes well. I just got home today. I underwent surgery at L5 S1 Weddnesday July 13th. Unlike you, I was an inpatient and was kept in the hospital until Sunday about noon. I was in more pain after than before the surgery. Multiple surgeons suggested fusion because I had a prior discectomy in 2008 which kept me active until the fall of 2010. After another CT scan and MRI we found a fracture on the vertebra and further comptression of the nerves to include the spinal chord. All 3 docs said I needed a fusion. Now I have 2 scars 4 titanium screws and 2 rods in my back. I'm 31 years old in very good physical condition and health. So I will try to remain positive about a full recovery.

Like you I have plenty of sickdays. I'm lucky to have my family and future wife attending to me and encouraging me through the recovery.

Doctor did not give me a brace or cane or anything to assist in walking. He claims they would only encourage bad form. He mandated that I walk plenty to strengthen the muscles. Not to twist at the trunk. No lifting more than 5 lbs. No unnecesary prolonged walking. And No Smoking because it interferes with the fusion process. (I don't smoke)

For the boredom, I have my iPad full of books. I will read ahead the chapter overviews for classes in september, I will mail out my temporary 6 month DMV disability parking permit. (already signed by surgeon). Get on this forum and learn tips of what other have done and how they recovered. I will also continue reading with my child and teach her more mathematics. She is 9 and seems to enjoy problem solving. I will study more for the LSAT which I take in October. there is plenty to do. I'm sure you will find things to keep the boredom away.

Best wishes and Good luck to you!
  • I think many think they will get bored, but in reality if your feeling really good then you should take the opportunity to do all those things we never have time for. Wether be that drawer in the kitchen that has become the collect all, learning a new hobby like wine tasting, and of course the big thing walk all you can. Depending on the type of work you do, maybe it is possible to do some work from home?

Even though your feeling well still be cautious as you don't want any set backs and soon this will be something of the past and your out living a normal busy life.

Congrats on doing so well post surgery and keep up the good work.