Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tomorrows THE day!!! went from scared to TERRIFIED!

slippysslippy Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone I do appreciate the responses thus far. I am just really WORRIED about my surgery tomorrow, ACDF C-4 thru C-6. ROM & having hardware put in are really STRESSIN me out! Icould REALLY use some more input right about now.My second surgery, last one 14 years ago no fusion with that one & did not heal correct. This time bone to be put in & plate & screws. Appreciate anymore responses!!(positive hopefully!!)

• I understand your nervousness. :SS

I haven't had cervical surgery, but there have been lots on here who have said it wasn't as bad as they feared and they felt much better quite quickly after surgery. Some of them felt better when they woke up.

As your previous surgery didn't fuse, I am sure that this time they will be very thorough and do everything to ensure that it will be successful.

Have you prepared your house and stocked up with soft foods and other things that you will need?

Try to have a relaxing evening. Do something that you enjoy and have a favourite meal.

I will pray for you if you would like :-)

I'll look forward to hearing from you when you are able to post, and hopefully you'll be telling me that it all went smoothly and you are feeling better than before surgery.

This place is wonderful for the support while you are recovering from surgery. I got so much help and it kept me sane. >:D< :D
  • Wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow.You will be in my thoughts.

I, like Jelly have not had cervical surgery,I had lumbar 13 days ago. This forum has been a godsend for me. I too was very nervous, but try to enjoy your day today, and do something special, just for you.Hopefully you have things ready at home (things at proper height to prevent bending, soft foods for first couple of days, books to read...I've read 6 in past two weeks.)

Just think, in about 24 hours you will be on your road to recovery.

Please let us know how you are doing, when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I had a 3 level ACDF back in October 2010 and I can tell you that my neck stopped hurting immediatly afterwards. I had no pain in my neck. The hard collar sucked and I hated every minute I had to wear it, but am glad I did. I have a plate an screws holding it all together which haven't bothered me either.

Pillows will be your friend when sleeping. I had to play around with them to find the right height so I could sleep peacefully.

Like others have said, make sure you have plenty of soft food for those first few days to a week. It was a little difficult to swallow at first, but it did go away. If you need to turn your head, turn with your stomach.

You will be fine :) I will keep you in my prayers.

• Hi Slippy,

I have also had an ACDF, and going back in for more in one week. I bet you will feel much better afterword. Have faith! It will be okay.

As Jelly said....do something you enjoy tonight, treat yourself! :-)

• I wish you the very best in your surgery tomorrow! Spend the evening with friends and or family and try your best to relax. I know it's not easy, I have had 2 surgeries this year. But time and following the doctor's orders are a necessity. Don't worry about the hard collar, it is a very good friend and you will get used to it.
    We will all be watching for updates after you come home. We are here for you!
  • Best of luck to you with your surgery later today (it's after midnight where I am). I had thoracic spine surgery 13 days ago, and it was terrifying for me. It was my first (and hopefully only) spine surgery, so I was very nervous about what to expect. Just remember to follow doctor's orders afterwards and pace yourself. And keep telling yourself that every day will get easier and easier.