Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Will I never have any sense?
Will I never learn what I CAN and CANNOT do?
Who am I trying to impress?

Oh dear, I did such a stupid thing today, you just won't believe it. I can't even believe I'm owning up to doing it.

There I was, at school with the secondary school kids. There were 4 of us support staff - the last week of term - all doing fun things all morning.

Just before lunch, we were all invited to participate and "Have a go" by the coach (his title may give you a little hint that we were in the gym!).

So, there I was, saying I had done this before (ha! about 40 years ago and I didn't have back problems then!), when I got up, took my shoes off, walked over to the equipment, proceeded to do what all people do and then made a complete fool of myself in front of everyone!

Now I have got two deep scratches on my forehead, which bled quite a bit. Are very sore. My glasses, thank goodness didn't break, but have bent a bit and the varifocals are in slightly the wrong place, which makes my eyesight go a bit funny sometimes. My face is sore and should be permanently red considering how embarrassed I felt - and it's my own fault because my work colleagues were telling me NOT to do it.

All the kids looked at me.
All the support staff looked at me.
All the teachers looked at me.
And me - I felt like an absolute idiot - but why did I do it? It's not like I was showing off because I know I cannot do it that well - I couldn't all those years ago, so I know for a fact that I'm not going to improve with age.

WHAT? You may ask?

So my face and glasses had an argument with the trampoline - I was trying to kneel and was a bit more enthusiastic than I should have been and ended up landing on my FACE!!!!

It's a good job we finish school this week. I couldn't bear the embarrassment for any longer!

Can you please explain to me "Why do we do stupid things like that?" I could have made my surgical outcome so much worse - I could have damaged the hardware, it doesn't bear thinking about what I could have done to myself. But the trouble is - I just didn't think about it, I just got up and did it.

I blame it on my Butrans patches of course! They do make me forgetful, with less concentration - or is it that I just find it very difficult to accept that there are things I just cannot do any more (or shouldn't).

Why am I always trying to push or test myself to see what I CAN or CAN'T do. Why can't I just accept that I should act my age and not my shoe size (I used to hate my mum saying that to me, but it's so true!). I'm nearly 55 years old for goodness sake, not 25!!!!

Sorry it's such a long post, but I haven't got over it yet and am trying to give myself a right telling off.

Has anyone else done anything just as stupid? Please tell me I'm not alone...........

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Almost all of us at one time or another have done something(s) very stupid and we paid the price.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I do stuff I shouldn't do every single day. I have peeps tell me I shouldn't be doing it but I'm pretty stubborn and I want to do it! Not necessarily jumping on a tramp - but other things that I shouldn't. It's a crappy deal, if you wanna have fun with your peers at school, you should be able too. THis is just a lousy deal.
  • what the fork are you tyring to do ???end up back in theater??? you silly sod !! anyway hun i hope that you get better soon and you have not damaged your back .give me a ring when you are free
    tony x
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Yes, we all do things that we shouldn't and then pay for them.

I used to love jumping on the trampoline and was quite good, so I have to say that if I were with you, I would've done the same thing. I miss it to this day and wouldn't have given it a second thought either.

Sometimes we turn 12 again and act like it. Then all those years passed kicks us in the butt and tells us to act like adults, not just adults, but ones that have had spine surgery.

You're not alone at all and I don't even think you should be embarrassed. I think it would've made a good little Youtube video or America's Funnies Home Videos. :-)

• Stupid? I would not call it that, I would call it being alive... Just because the bodies don't function so well anymore, doesn't mean our brains don't remember having fun, and I would guess that fun is not a regular occurance in anyone's life who's on this web site! I say good for you!!! Lucky of course that you didn't get hurt, but given the same situation, I think I would have done the same thing...!! How I long to go riding again...or for a bike ride...or a long walk.. or playing in the waves at the beach...or motorcycles....or snowmobiles... or canoeing....
    Congrats on living on the edge!!!! Though risky it may be!!
  • Thanks for your support and for saying that I'm not altogether completely bonkers (yet!).

Ha! Tony, I had to laugh when I read your post, thank you for that. I know what you say is right, but you know how it is sometimes. I just don't want to give in to it all the time and, when the rebel in me comes out, I do these crazy things (too often I know).

Well, work finishes in two days time (YAY!!! I cannot wait). I'll give myself a little time to recuperate and allow my back to rest completely before .......... I visit my daughter in Pittsburgh, Pensylvania, on 15 August ......... and do lots of stupid things all over again ha!!!!!

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Sorry to hear you fell on your face that's just painful. You let loose and had fun but whoops bam! I hope you heal and ice your face. It could have been worse but it's not. I think trampoline with nets are much safer than ones without. Was there mats on the ground to fall on? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well, look at it this way. I'll bet most of the kids thought you were a good sport to try. I can't believe you'd do that having a 2 level fusion. I've got a three level, and I can't even imagine climbing up onto a trampoline! Of course, that said, I'be been up on the roof a few times to fix things or put moss-off stuff up there. I'm sorry you hurt yourself, but just use it as a learning tool. I'm sure no one thought as badly of you as you do of yourself. Just remember you're not as limber as you used to be!
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I still wear 5 to 6 inch spike heels when I go out, and I am 60 years old with at least 11 levels of different fusions, etc. I do make sure I have someone strong to hold onto, or take my walker. I figure if I am going to fall and have my feet in the air, they better look good! It is weird that high heels don't bother my spine at all, but there are other types of shoes that do. I guess the good thing is I rarely go out!

• I don't know how high heels would affect my back, but I can tell you they make my feet hurt terribly! Last time I wore heels was on a cruise. I bought them specially to wear to the captain's dinner. Well, I made it from my cabin to the front door of the dining room. We had to wait about ten minutes to get in and off they came. I've not worn them since.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • going off your picture your never 60 !
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • You made my day! The face may not say it, but the back sure thinks it is a heck of a lot older!

On the 4th day of my SCS trial; hate to have it taken out tomorrow afternoon.
  • has the SCS been any good ? or are you looking forward to having it removed ? i know for some its more trouble than its worth but for others they work well .{it would be no good for me as i have mechanical pain } .good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Tony,

The SCS has helped, but not in the area where I need it the most; to sit. It helps it a tiny bit, but not as much as I was hoping it did at first. I am not sure if I am getting the permanent one, but that is mainly due to the cost of keeping up my insurance long enough to get it and the co-pays. It does help some of my nerve pain, but I am sure I have mechanical pain too. So I have to really think about it this week. I think I need to be on stronger pain meds. I have taken my normal doses since I have had the trial. It has helped at least 50% in some areas. If only things were easy for us spineys!

I am on 10mg oxycodone or lortab 4 to 6 times a day plus 350mg Soma 3 times a day. Not nearly enough to make much difference in my pain. Going to beg the Pain Dr. today to change it up. Levels C2 thru C7 and L2 thru S1 all have different hardware, most of them done twice.
  • If so, I want what you're on please!!!!????

Does Spinal Cord Stimulation actually work? If anyone has had a good experience of using this, can you let me know. Ta.

Hope all is well with you guys!?

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Numbskull
  • I happened to get good genes from my parents. But man oh man has the rest of my skin suffered. I had way too many epidural injections of steroids and cortisone that caused my skin, mainly on my trunk, arms and legs, to get so thin and wrinkled. I puffed way up by 25 to 30 pounds within 2 days after the last couple of injections and when I lost the weight my skin and blood were very thin. I am trying to build up some muscle mass to help that out and it is starting to work. I just can't do that much exercise without hurting myself too much.

I must have read over 1000 posts before getting my SCS trial. There are many, many people on here that they have helped. I did get some relief, but for me not to be able to sit still, it isn't worth getting a permanent one at this point. I am glad that I did have the trial and now know for sure.

I have so much hardware in my spine, and have had 3 revisions, that I need to sit down with my doctor sometime and find out exactly what I have inside me now. I did know, but didn't write it all down. I know I have at least 4 rods, some plates, cages , 4 screws that aren't included with that hardware, and who knows what else. I have at least 11 different levels that have hardware. I have DDD, spinal stenosis, arthritis, and other spinal problems. I just finished my SCS trial that started out great, but ended poorly. I kept thinking it would start helping my tailbone pain, and it didn't.
This discussion has been closed.