Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain control

treettree Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Hi I'm im severe pain right now and am going to get an scs unit implanted in 3 weeks. My pm dr will not alter meds until he can acess implantation. I'm on loratab 10/325 3 times a day I have complained to pm about meds not helping with pain control for last 3 mounths. my question is will pain meds be stopped by scs implantation or will he still give meds if pain is not fully controled. By by the way loratab makes my stomach VERY upset, thanks for listening Tree

• I certainly hope that the SCS surgery goes well...Is this the trial? Or have you done that and this is the final one...

Most Dr.s will want to keep your medicine at the same level to see where you are after the SCS surgery and seeing how it works...The whole point for getting the SCS is to help with your pain levels...so it makes sense to want to see where you stand...and then if your medicine is needing to be tweaked, then you can work with the Dr. on this.

Most chronic pain Dr.s shoot for a 5 on the pain scale for their patients...and not just relying on a narcotic to acheive this, but using many modalities all together each day/week/month to help manage the pain...

I'm not sure of your pain source...but for me I use daily exercise, yoga/stretching, PT, aqua therapy, acunpuncture, massage, injections when needed, cognitive behavioral therapy, muscle relaxer when needed, opiates, a sleep medicine, I eat all Organic which has tremendously helped my inflammation and energy levels...

Other things are an antidepressant, a nerve pain medicine, and then a TENS unit or SCS like you are using...

So those are just some of the other things that a good PM Dr. will want to use in conjunction with any pain medication...This also keeps the tolerance level down as much as possible...I know for me I take the absolute minimum each day (even when my Dr. wants me to take more!)...since I have many, many years to go with this chronic pain...

As far as the stomach upset...it could be the Acetaminophen that is added into the Lortabs (mixed with Hydrocodone)...I used to be on Percocets and after a few years I had awful nausea and stomach issues...so I was switched to generic OxyIR which is the same medicine of Oxycodone...just without the Acetaminophen...and it helped greatly within a week!!
    So let your Dr. know about your stomach issues to see what he can offer.

I hope that you are able to get some reduction in pain by using the SCS...Please come back to keep us posted...I pray the surgery goes well!..