Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Starting roxicodone today...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Chronic Pain
I think a lot of you use this with success correct? I am going to pick it up in a couple of hours. It is the same deal, I'll still be married to damn pills but hopefully it provides better relief. I'm trying this before I try oxycontin. I guess I'm trying everything else first cuz I'm scared about oxycontin. What do you all think? My doc said this stuff has no acteminephine in it and it if didn't work real well I should take a tylenol 500 with it and see if that makes it work better. Anyone every heard/done that???
advertisement

Comments

• So I get an e-mail for responses. How do you make it do that when you first create the topic?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Is essentially Oxycodone.
    What dosage did your doctor prescribe?

Many people have a fear of oxycontin. I spent over two years on it at various dosages and never ran into problems. Since then I have used Opana ER on and off for the past 3 or 4 years.

It gets very confusing when you start to look up narcotics in the Oxy.... or Hydroc... family. The brand names go on and on. Almost to the point where there really are only a few major narcotic formulas.

What was the statement about the email? I wasnt sure what you were saying there
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It is very confusing.. I am hoping this will be the ticket, at least for a while. I guess if it isn't, I'll try the oxy. I'm just worried about being goofy in the head or something. I need to be on my game at work and at home.

It is the 15mg 5 times a day she prescribed.

I was wondering when you post your new topic there isn't an option to get an e-mail notification when someone responds to your topic. When you reply to the topic there is then so I always have to go in twice and set it for notifications...
  • Marion,

Your looking to highlight the option below where you make a comment, "notify me of follow-up comments posted here:" Actually it is right below Input format, below the box you type your comment in. Also see in the blue below that "your account edit page", that will take you to your page to be sure that you have follow-up notifications checked on your page, so they will go through.
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,605
    The acetometphen (tylenol) in Norco - vicodin - Percocet allegdely helps potentiate the effects of the narcotic .... thats why she said to add some tylenol to the mix .... they also add it so that people don't take more than a certain amount each day - as I believe its 4 grams or 4000 mg that is considered a potentially toxic level of tylenol.

Regards,

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • I am pretty happy right now. I was hurting bad, bad this morn when I rolled into work at 630. I had taken my perk, but it only did a so-so job. I feel quite a bit better right now, took the Roxi about an hour ago. I am hoping it will last a good long while! That would be nice if it could last 6 hours or so. She said 5 a day would be o.k., but 4 would be good too if it lasts that long. Guess I'll find out.
  • i have been on oxycontin for 10 or so years ago. i am goofy in the head but my wife says that is just me normally, no seriously, i have never had so called goofy in the head problems with oxy. for me at least, the dose that goes into your blood stream is so small that i don't really feel it. at first, i got a little of the high symptom but after a couple of days, no problems. for me it is like taking an aspirin, no goofiness at all. i can only speak for myself. i take 45mg of it 4x's a day, compounded formulation. i also take the fenatly lollipops and still no goofy feeling. i believe after a while one gets used to the meds. i work on it and have no problems at all. try it for a week or so and see how you react, then make a decision about taking it. i believe this is why people will up their dosage because they feel that it is not working because they don't feel it. the only negative problems i have had with oxy is the feeling that my personality is flatlined. no ups or downs, just there. but this is nothing i lose sleep over.
    good luck
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I take 60 mg a day of oxycontin. If I ever did feel a little "goofy" was when I first started taking it, but that didn't last very long. Actually, I think it was only dilaudid that ever gave me the goofy feeling at first, the only problems of recurring "brain-farts" I had was on that after my first surgery. Oxycontin and also percocet for bt, doesn't really affect me at all, except for providing some relief.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I am going to see over the weekend how this goes, and then I see my doc Wednesday to discuss how it is. I am probably just being majorly paranoid over nothing cuz I know you two are sane as sane can be! LOL! LOL! No, I'm serious, I am being paranoid over nothing. I will give it a try if this doesn't seem to work out for me..
  • Mouse said:
    cuz I know you two are sane as sane can be! LOL!

Well, acutally, I wonder about that, for myself, most days... 8}
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I rarely take tylenol with mine. Sometimes I want to, but I think of my liver, and the few times I have taken apap with it, it does not seem to help (that I can tell). I will say though from my own experience that I do seem to become more tolerant to oxycodone than I did to hydrocodone, so that's an issue, but I have a trick to help keep me on track whenever I feel my tolerance slipping. Are you Rx'ed on a 24hr schedule or do you take your medication only during the day? I'm Rx'ed on a 24hr schedule, and whenever my tolerance starts to slip, I skip 8-12 hrs at night to try to build it back up. My pain is worse in the morning this way and I don't work, so this might not work for you.. but maybe weekends?
  • Good to hear you're getting relief so far. 15mg is a good sized dose for sure. I would be more afraid of instant relief Oxycodone than slow release oxycontin. Don't take more than prescribed as that's a high dose and usually starts from one hour to provide relief for 4-6 hours.

I was up to 120mg of Oxycontin and that was giving me relief of 5mg an hour of Oxycodone which is like taking a Perc without Tylenol every hour. So 15mg for relief is a good amount. I have reduced the amount down to 60mg a day and a breakthrough perc because I was quite tired all day but it helps working with your Dr. to decrease or increase slowly what works best for you. I was concerned in the future I will need an increase due to becoming tolerant so was able to reduce my meds for now...

I think your Dr. is starting to listen to you and working with you to find the right med that works. So glad to hear that! Don't take my calculations as gospel though and you can check a Narcotic converter online. I wish we had one here at Spine Health.

Let us know how you're getting relief. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,605
    Just happen to post this in another thread and saw your comment...

http://www.pharmer.org/forum/discussion-prescription-and-otc-meds/opioid-comparison

This might help?

Regards,

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Hey Mouse...

If you were taking Percocet before...then you are still taking the exact same active ingredient of Oxycodone...just minus the acetaminophen...

You are now on 75mg total per day..(15mg times 5 a day)....not sure what your dosing was for the day on Percocet...but I think it was lower? So this should be a good step up in total milligrams to give you some relief...

It's still a short term acting medicine...usually 4-6 hours....just like Percocet...

I'm not sure why you would worry or fear Oxycontin....it's also the exact same thing as you are taking now...Oxycodone....just in a long acting release formula...

It's wonderful that your Dr. is finally moving to other strengths for you as I know you have said for so long that she wouldn't budge...

It's best to always give a new medicine (or strength) a good few weeks to a month to really see if it is working properly to manage your pain..

As mentioned...you can always add Acetaminophen to this (Tylenol) which was in the Percocet...to help with pain as well...

I take 5mg OxyIR (which is another name for just Oxycodone immediate release) for my breakthrough medication...but I like the flexibility to add an Advil (Ibuprofen) or a Tylenol if needed...

So...if for some reason this move up in strength doesn't give you the relief you need...at least you can move to Oxycontin (taken every 8 or 12 hours depending on the prescribing Physician)...and it is the exact same medicine as you are on now:)

• Yes, it is working o.k. except mornings are still just brutal. I was 2 hours late today. I am going to ask if I could also have 1 ER pill to try that I could take like at midnight so that the mornings wouldn't be so rough. I see her next week so I'm going to ask her about that. I just worry that I'll be messed up in the head with oxy but I didn't know it was basically the same thing either. i'm not real familiar with much except the lortab and percocett which is all I've ever needed. Things seem to be changing as I age however. Getting older stinks. I was on 6 percocett 10s before so this does seem to be better overall. If I can just get these mornings under control - I can't be getting up at 3 a.m. to get myself together to get in to work by 630. Good lord, I have too much other stuff going on for that - I do need some sleep..
  • Marion, I agree with you 1000%, getting old absolutely stinks! I think you should consider an ER form of oxycodone, or something else, by the way - your pain is obviously chronic and you need something that covers it 'full-time', so to speak. Good luck with the new meds.
  • There should be absolutely no reason that you would have a different reaction to the Oxycontin (being messed up in the head as you wrote) if you don't have this with the Percocet..as I wrote..it is the exact same medication...

The Oxycontin usually lessens any dopey side effects that some people get with the short term version of Oxycodone as it's being released more slowly....So you get much smoother and longer pain relief...

For example...at 10mg Oxycontin releases 5 mg of the Oxycodone within the first 45 min to an hour...and slowly tapers down the next 5 hours...then at the 6 hour mark...it releases the next 5mg to last another 6 hours for a total of 12 hours...it just makes it nice to not have to take as many pills...

Now...some Dr.s do decide to prescribe Oxycontin every 8 hours so that it overlaps a bit by taking them 3 times a day...it all depends on the patient/Dr. and what they decide for pain control...

So if you were on 60mg of Oxycodone a day...you are now getting 15mg more a day so it should be helping some...I hope:)...But since you have been on short acting medicine for so long...it wouldn't hurt to ask her about moving to a long term medication like Oxycontin..

I was on Oxycontin for a few years before I lost insurance after my divorce so had to switch to MSContin which is very inexpensive as I pay out of pocket...The 'Contin' after anything just means 'continuous'(long acting)...so I take Morphine Sulfate Continuous release...

I hear ya about getting older!! LOL...it does stink at times...

I have been on generic Ambien since my last surgery...it makes a HUGE difference and I wouldn't trade that medicine for anything...I still turn every hour because of my neck pain but I don't totally wake up and I get a decent night's sleep...This helps with pain levels during the day for me...which then lets me take less pain medicine...

Again..I'm really glad to hear that you are getting better care as I read a lot of your posts when you weren't..
  • I have only had one prescription for this and it was after my last major surgery. It was 30mg every 6 hours. It really worked well for the pain; but the weird thing is it seemed to help my depression. I suddenly felt like doing things instead of just lying in bed crying. Maybe it is because it helped the pain so much? I am trying to get on it again because I ended up taking less of it in the long run then 10mg percocet as it helped so much. I also have liver issues from all the high cholesterol meds I am on, so I don't like to have to take anymore acetaminophen if possible. I hope you are having good luck with it.

Jan
  • It is working pretty well, keeping everything right around a 2 which I can live with. It pretty much stays put with no fluctuations in nerve or joint pain, other than mornings are still a big issue. I am going to talk to her Wednesday and see if there is something I could take at say midnight that might make my mornings easier. Other than that, the only time I've needed to take a tylenol with it IS the mornings because they are just wicked brutal. Other than that it seems to be a fairly decent medication!
  • That is great that your pain level is down to a 2 most of the time. I don't think mine has been below a 7 or 8 unless they had knocked me out for surgery, other than when I was on 30mg roxycodone after surgery, which brought it down to maybe a 6 a few times. But that was after a major surgery which involved a lot of nerves. I am glad it is working well for you!

Jan
  • How wonderful to be at a 2!! I also haven't been that low in 10 years...so that is awesome to hear...

I live at about a 5-7 most days depending on activity...and that's with a bunch of different modalities...

Thanks for the update...I hope it continues for you:)
  • Glad you finally found a doc that addresses your pain...What I wouldn't do to be at a "2"!
    About pain with waking in the morning, that's going to be tough..I've found that Oxycontin for me only lasts about 6 hours (even though its prescribed as twice a day and theoretically is supposed to last 12 hours). Are you find you are waking up in the night or just when you wake up in the morning have pain?
  • I am up every hour at night anyway - never sleep very well, but after 3, I can tell I have a harder time walking to the bathroom, etc. 5:15 when I get up for work, I am hobbling and everything hurts. Mostly joints. I see her today so will inquire about that and maybe I need to see a rheumatologist, I don't know. I can only take the celebrex every other day cause it messes up my esophogus and stomach so maybe there is something different I could try. My daughter had a good point, she said mom she deals with pain management. I bet there are a ton of different arthritis meds out there but she just does't know about them. Maybe so.. All I know is I still HATE this F"ING job and coming in here every day. What I wouldn't give to be retired! FIVE MORE LONG YEARS of BS...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.