Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fully Fused!

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am happy to report that my surgery on 2/24/2011 to fuse my L3-L4-L5 was a success. I am fully fused and a recent MRI showed that all my other disks are normal! I do still have considerable edema and a hematoma (although that is getting smaller) and I am definitely not pain free, but I am on the road to recovery finally!

I am curious to know how many of you had trouble with PT. I am now going on 5 months post op, and although I have prescriptions for Tylenol 4, I haven't really used them because they don't work. The therapist basically kicked me out of therapy because the pain was very intense while trying to do the exercises. My doc has now referred me to a pain management doc, which I have my first appt with today, but I am a little leery about being given stronger meds at this stage of the game. Has anyone else had similar trouble?

Oh, and I also ended up with gastritis as a result of my surgery, which it took them 4 months to diagnose!

• Just wanted to say congrats on fusing so early, that is awesome! Now hopefully you can work at getting the pain down to a tolerable level. All the best at your appointment.Hope that they can find a med that helps. Let us know how it goes.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • And they want to inject my SI joint. Because I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds due to my gastritis, this seems to be the best option. I think I prefer this to going on Oxycontin because I'm not much for pain killers unless I have to.

Has anyone else had this after fusion surgery? Supposedly, it's common, particularly that my pain was radiating around my groin during PT (supposedly this is common in women)

I am ok with injections, I have had so many that it's just another day to me, but I am just wondering if anyone else has had them after surgery?
  • Hi; and just wanna congrats you on your fusion.

That sure was fast. Alot of people here, myself included do envy you for that.

Sorry i cant offer any advice tho on the gastritis.
  • That's the outcome you wanted to hear wasn't it !! At 5 months out, most of us wouldn't be pain free, but you're on the way to getting a good reduction in pain.

PT made my recovery pain worse, even though I modified the exercises. Walking and gentle stretches were the best for me. I eventually stopped the PT and my pain lessened. I was fused in under 6 months too.

I'm nearly 2 years out and still have gastritis which I'm sure came from the pain meds which I had to take over the years. Eating high fibre healthy snacks helps. I was on Nexium and whilst it reduced the acid, it didn't fix the problem.

Hope the SI joint injection helps.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008