Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain and numbness in Feet

I am just trying to get an idea of what might be causing foot problems. My left foot has numbness or decreased feeling in bottom of feet (toes, foot pads, and arch). The right foot has some numbness in bottom of foot, and intense crippling pain in two spots on bottom of heel. A podiatrist has ruled out plantar fasciaitis and heel spurs based on x-rays. The heel pain is worse when I get out of bed, improves some and gets worse as the day goes on. The feet swell, and shoes hurt the bottom of the feet.

This has gone on about 10 months. Prescription orthotic inserts do not help, and in fact increase the pain. I am not diabetic, but I have had sciatica for about 8-10 years that caused pain in the lower back and thighs after walking or standing too long. I had spinal fusion of C5-C7 one year ago, but don't see how that would be related. I have seen a Podiatist and am not going to see an orthopedic surgeon. The symptoms don't seem to fit anything well.

Does this sound spinal/ neurological related? Any comments would be appreciated.

• I noticed a typo. I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, but have no idea what this problem is.
  • Hello RiverCity, and Welcome to Spine Health!

You might want to look at a Dermatome map to see what matches up, or comes close. I have issues at L5/S1 among other things, and for me my 3 middle toes on both feet, the balls of both feet, and tops (rarely...back heel pain) are part of my daily diet.

I get swelling too, but found that I was eating too much processed food. I cut that out, and my feet swelling is all but gone - the rest as listed above is still there.

As to my occasional heel pain, it is 'center punch' like a pencil being put into my heel. Never to either side, just right in the center of it. Not sure if any of this helps, but saw your post and thought I would share my symptoms as to what is going on. Mine are radiculopathy from stenosis at my L5/Sl (L5 nerve).

Please let us know what you find out. Fingers crossed for you. Again, Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • biobabe131bbiobabe131 Posts: 47
    edited 07/08/2012 - 9:15 AM
    I agree with Aviatrix36440. Sounds like you may have a nerve issue. I believe nerve compression in the low back or legs can cause similar symptoms. Perhaps look into that with a neurologist. Best of luck to you and welcome to the site :)
  • I had psyatica and low back pain followed by numbness over 8 years. finally had mri scan and had a tumour on my spinal column not cancer but serious. Suggest you go to doctor and ask for an mri scan.