Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

possible undiagnosed infection?

coryanne1ccoryanne1 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I have had moderate to severe pain for the last 2 years. I was dianosed with SI dysfunction and bursitis. I have gone through PT and had a cortisone shot in March. Nothing has helped. Last week, I was put on an antibiodic for an infected insect bite. Within 24-36 hours after starting the antibiodic, my pain was totally gone. It has been a week and I have had one flare-up and that pain lasted only 4-5 hours and resolved without any medication. I am stunned. I called the GP that prescribed the antibiodic and they brushed me off with the AB inflammatory properties. I know this pain too well. I feel different.
I could use some advice...do I follow the infection lead or trust the GP?

• I dont think i would worry about the pain right now if it has goten beter with antibiotics. Sometimes even the flu can change my symptoms of the pain in my body from the original on going chronic pain. Infections and antibiotics cause changes in your body that will sometimes change the way pain reactors in your body behave.

As long as you get rid of the infection and finish the antibiotics then see how body reacts after. Welcome. And good luck. Ps: Anytime i took antibiotics my pain was always a litle beter.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks, its very hard for me to enjoy feeling better if I think it will end when I stop taking the AB. I am frustrated.
  • Look at the bright side. Enjoy the releif you have for now. Then tell your pain dr about how Ab. Made your pain so much beter and they might find a med for you that helps with inflammation and posibly you can get same sort of releif later. You might get lucky after realising this after the insect bite and infection. If your condition is mostly from inflammation then hopefully they can get it under control without surgery,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I have seen this term before in this forum. I have only seen an ortho and my GP. What is a pain dr?
  • Some of the ortho and neuro dr,s where i am at dont treat pain. They refer you the a pain clinic who they work with who not only treat the pain they are the ones who do some of the tests to find out where the pain is coming from such as discogram and nerve block and so on. They are usualy the best in treating pain because that all they do. The ortho and neuro surgens are bussy doing surgery on people so they dont deal in pain management.

They usualy will refer you to the pain clinic to see if that helps to manage the pain and if it dont he will further investigate what he can posibly do. This is why most of us are working with more then 1 dr 1 for pain management and other to do surgery or order mylogram or mri if he feels its needed for his further investigating,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I really appreciate you advice. You have been very helpful to me. I will ask my ortho about pain management.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • Note that I am paraplegic since 1998, T5 carwreck at age 16, but over the last 5-6 years I have felt really crappy, nothing shows up, and my pain in parts I cant feel is a 9.8 out of 10. To the point that I enjoy nothing, but nothing shows up on tests and scans. I had a UTI 2-3 months ago. After Culture they treated me with macrobid for 28 days. I have alot of UTIs but I have never had one with an antibiotic regiment that long. After 21 days, the UTI symptoms were better but I felt no better. Well within a day or two or finishing meds I woke up feeling 100 times better. but within 4-5 days of finishing meds I felt the very same. It reminded me of the same thing happening 4-5 years ago, but then I thought it was a fluke, that something in my environment had improved my heath, until it went away, and now happened again, years later. Finally got my urologist to put me on an extended dosage, 6 weeks of doxycycline, Im working on about about 8 days and feel no better, but maybe it will hit about 4 week point again, and the 2 additional weeks will eradicate this infection, since 4 weeks isnt enough.
  • Coryanne1 this forum is fabulous for just about any back information. If you use the search field at the top of the forum you can find just about anything. I did a search for pain management and found this link at spine-health

Good luck and post back what you are able to find out about this strange phenomena! I am interested to find out if the antibiotics have a secondary affect on joints, specifically what antibiotic were your prescribed, etc? I say go with your gut but do wait a little bit to see if the pain returns.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Well, this antibiotic is doxycycline, forgive me for spelling. I am on about day 9 out of 42. And just in case some may wonder, I am the type that skIeptical about everything about think nothing will work, so if I feel better, it will be the medicine, not my mind being tricked into thinking that I feel better. Thanks for the comment.

• Thankfully I can say for the first time in 4-5 years I actually feel good, and can make it through a day without looking for a drink or pain meds to at least make the day tolerable. Through 15-16 days on the "doxy" I felt no change and was really starting to get discouraged that I had imagined the prior changes, then just as in the prior 2 times, I woke up last Tuesday feeling like a new person. Its unreal the difference I have felt since then. And while I was finishing up the meds when I felt the prior improvements, I still have about 3+ weeks so maybe I can totally wipe out the bug that has haunted me since 2007-08ish. I still have very bad back/nerve pain but it is a papercut compared to what I had felt for so long. I have been able to enjoy reading the paper, watching movies, taking a drive, talking to friends, going fishing, and all the other things that used to get me through life. I am not getting ahead of my horses because I know that once I finish the meds the trick will be to continue to feel good, but I have even been scanning the classifieds looking for some type of work, something that hasnt even crossed my mind since whatever this is caused me to leave my job as an accountant in 2009. Its not hyperbole to say I feel like a little kid whom Santa just visited.
  • passporttppassportt washington state Posts: 1
    I wrote several paragraphs but the computer malfunctioned and ate them - bottom line is - I had sacral / SI and low lumbar pain that prevented me from most things in life due to pain with almost any movement - I am an active person so I acquired frown wrinkles and kept trying to live a half life with the pain- beginning of the 3rd year I took an antibiotic for a sinus issue - within 2 days my back - legs etc felt 50% better than it had in 2 years- so I asked for another course of antibiotics- the 50% pretty much stayed that way even after he 2nd AB's well- I started looking up infected SI sacral areas and found after much digging bits and pieces of info - I am still digging for info - but do believe that I have an infection in those joints. My doctors all think I am nut's and after the PT people figured out that what they were doing the first year made it worse they have been trying to figure out what to do to stabilize ..