Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moderation - You time online

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
Every once in a while I like to make this type of post to inform/warn people about their time online.

Even without spinal problems long time computer usage can really play havoc on your body. There really is NO good workstation environment/platform that allows anyone to stay on the computer for long periods of time. The ONLY solution is to limit your time and to make sure you take breaks at least every hour.

I was a computer programmer, did it for over 35 years and that environment played a major role into some of my spinal problems.

I know that being online here is very comforting to many and it may be the one sort of support system you have. But you dont want your time here to start to negatively impact your health.

We have had members, one in particular that said because of her spinal problems and pain, she was unable to Read, unable to walk, unable to Drive, unable to Cook, unable to Shop, unable to Clean, but yet somehow she would log over 15 hours every day on Spine-Health!

Just always be aware of the time you are spending on the computer. It is so very important to take those hourly breaks, get up, stretch, walk around do something at least for 15 minutes before returning to the computer.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Oftentimes at work I get so caught up in completing my tasks that I forget to put my health first, so thanks for that reminder!
    15 weeks post surgery (posterior C1/C2 fusion)
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • hiya ron,
    Very good topic..i find when i watch a movie via computer distracts me..yet i do set my phone alarm so that i do my yoga and walking is also great...
    Thanks and I hope all is going good for you these days..
    ty for all your and others hard work (for free on here) its great site.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Ipad brought me to posting here more lately after hp laptop stoped working that i used to pop in chat often. It kills me to sit at the desktop computer to stay in chat. This is the reason nobody sees me in chat anymore. Ipad dont have flash drive so it dont work with chat as most probably already know.

Ipad makes it very easy to be in and out of the house doing stuff and just picking it up during resting. So as Ron said. Siting on computer too long is not at all healthy actualy its very unhealthy. Even talking about your pain can be just as unhealthy day in day out. Thats why we always tried to mix it up in chat avoiding talking about pain when posible. Joking around can get peoples mind off the pain even if its just for a short time cause we are not very funny lol. Git-ir-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • A very good point, as many I come and go, all day long. Like today, is a bad day, so I will be on for a few minutes and then gone, but come back later. Most of us need to change positions frequently so sitting here to long can really play havoc latter on. But besides being online, some may even think about when your trying to take care of personal paper work, like bills, insurance and so on, that you can get caught up sitting to long and find yourself in additional pain. I know I am very guilty of that, which why I try to set a timer so I know to get up. Chat is one of those things you can get caught up enjoying yourself, so set a timer and be sure to get up and move around. I know for myself with my hands coming and going I don't visit as much as I like to any longer, but the typing is just so hard anymore.

Anyway I think this is worth the mention so no one sacrifices their health in the process of learning or helping someone else.
  • Sitting using my laptop, marking exams, is exactly what did my back in too.

Wish I'd read that warning 5 years' ago!

• A timer? Ok so thats why i am always told to take a time out? Ahhhhhh. Now i understand.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Alex, who let you out of your corner? Get back to your time out!! hehe

This is why I love my recliner and laptop. Recline back a little, my head and neck are supported, I'm not looking down at my laptop, and if my back hurts, turn on the heat, and I'm good to go. My only problem is that time seems to fly and next thing I know it's been 2 hours. But I do agree with Alex, talking about pain all the time can be very detrimental to mental health. We gotta mix it up to keep our sanity!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thank you Ron & Tamtam!!! As usual, our moderators give great advice. They have made this site the best. I appreciate them so much!!! To me, my opinion, this site is the very best in the Internet!!! They work so hard. Everyone who has been reponsible for this website(even the people who have left), many,many thanks!!! Hey Mary,Alex, I hope y'all are doing good. Take care to all. I hope everyone is having a good,& painless(painfree) day!!! Hugs to all, Brenda
  • Good points there Ron. I use to be able to hang out in chat for hours, sadly not anymore. Even when in there, I have to get up, move around, then chat for a bit more.

Same for posting, I use to be able to read for hours, and then a bunch of posts. Now I can only get on for a short time - read, post a few and git! Maybe pain is a good thing sometimes! It forces me to take a break, that's for sure! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.