Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiskectomy question

spinedogsspinedog Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Great site with lots of great info. Had a microdiskectomy L4/L5 7 days ago and have been reading all the forums on recovery. I'm walking 4 to 5 times a day and in the morning I take a 2 mile walk (last 2 days). It takes me an hour, but it feels great. Doc was vague on how far to walk, just said listen to your body, so I hope I'm not over doing it. Still hurts to sit more than a few minutes. That leads me to my question. If you cant stand or sit for more than a few minutes at a time, what are you supposed to do the rest of the time -- lay down? I'm concerned about just laying around in bed, but not sure what else to do when not walking, sitting, or standing.

I had the surgery 7/13/11 and I'm 47. I ran a marathon last June, and then had a sneeze that set everything off. Did the PT and had the shots which did help, but couldn't shake it off totally.

Thanks - Gary

• From not being able to sit at length is terrible isn't it. I have had a fusion, so need to lie down when not walking or sitting, but used a zero gravity recliner before my surgery. That was marvellous. Not quite as tedioius as lying down, but does take the pressure off the low back and easier to read, work on computer etc.

You may want to ask your surgeon if a recliner is an option for you.

As for the walking, I was told that for me, this was an unrestricted activity, but with a minimum of an hour a day. That may be specific to fusions though, because the impact helps the bone grow.
  • Congratulations on the marathon! That's awesome.

Recovery is a marathon of its own. I have to agree with you on the issue of what to do while not standing/walking. Sitting for any length hurts and you definitely can't sit on the couch comfortably. I feel like it's been either lying down or standing/walking for me. The occasional 30-40 minutes sitting for meals and computer.

Sneezing is deadly! I'm paranoid every time I have to sneeze, lately. It seems to increase pain (which in turn increases anxiety). Hopefully those days will be merely memories in a short while.

You should just take the doctor's advice. If walking gives you increased pain, you may want to rethink your distance. My physical therapist gave me the impression that quality is more important than distance. Quality consists of good posture and using the core muscles to support your spine.

Best of luck in your recovery. I hope it's quick and complete!