Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Positive Pain Clinic experience Yay!

Pain_is_mePPain_is_me Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm not sure if I posted anything here about this appt yet; my memory is so horrible. I don't see my post though so probably not.

Last week I went to the pain clinic and overall it has been a great experience and I have alot of hope now. The nurse and doctor both spent alot of time with me getting to know what my issues are and doing the physical and mental assessment of me. The dr. went over every possible medication and what each was for, side effects etc... Then we discussed and decided to start low and work our way up if necessary. I started with tramacet but that didn't work for me at all. I called in after a few days when the pain was unbearable and the nurse called me back about 4 times with questions before finally telling me to take the percocet I had until I could get in to see him two days later. I saw him again yesterday and he re-assessed me based on the increased pain (I was having a really good day when I first saw him) and he recommended ocycontin and celebrex with percocet for breakthrough pain. Also he increased my Lyrica to 300 mg a day with most at night. I'm on day 2 of this and it is actually working really well.

Besides medication he did discuss things like injections and cutting the nerves but he said it was too late to do the injections (not sure what kind of injection, I forget) and cutting the nerves sounded very invasive for the limited relief it may give me and might not work for more than 2 weeks at that. Plus it would be a 4 hr drive to get either done. We did discuss trigger point therapy and I was given a brief instruction and told to get the book and work on it myself. I found the book as a pdf download today since the library copy wasn't available. He gave me a few physio type exercises to do as well.

The other big thing they did was discuss nutrition and supplements. I spent quite a bit of time with the nurse and have been put on a few supplements and a strict low-glycemic diet. This should result in weight loss as well as some additional pain relief. Its been going really well so far since I'm familiar with it. I put myself on a similar diet years ago for FMS and it did help so I'm hopeful.

Today was the best day I've had in a very long time. Of course I overdid it a bit but still only needed an additional 1/2 a percocet to deal with the pain before supper. I never thought I'd be one of those people that needs a pill container with 4 sections for each day of the week but with my memory and all the stuff I'm taking now I finally broke down and got one today. Sure makes keeping it all straight alot easier especially since some things need to be taken with meals, some at 12 hr intervals etc...

I wish everyone could have the experience I've had with such a great doctor and nurse team. Hugs and peace to everyone,

• Yay!!!!!! That is awesome to hear about and good energies sent your way in hopes it continues. Now let's see if we can send this vibe to ALL PM clinics worldwide.
  • I'm not so surprised at the pain management part, but the exercises and diet part is above and beyond most pain clinics. I don't think most docs encourage pain management with oral meds over injection, but I guess your surgical center resources aren't close?
  • My pain clinic experience was ridiculous. I went in to see the doc in horrible pain and all he did was hand me a pamphlet about a spinal cord stimulator. Nothing to control the pain in the meanwhile, no PT, no mention of injections, etc. I finally went back to my internist who was much more helpful. Some pain clinics are great, others suck.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • It took me almost 5 years to get this one to listen to me and actually re-evaluate and try something new. I was ready to blow my head off from pain and frustration with them. It's nice when they actually take the time to listen and try to figure out the best combination of things that work. Nice to hear someone has found good relief with some good doctors! Yeah - lets send this vibe onward and upward...
This discussion has been closed.