Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 Fusion x2

Jacqueline01JJacqueline01 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L5S1 Fusion Sept 2010 and have had insufficient bone growth. 1st surgeon want to do an ALIF, but will not address my continued leg pain. 2nd opinion wants to do a PLIF again, but harvest bone from my hip this time in hopes that my spine will fuse. Is there more of a risk with a 2nd surgery? Anyone know what the recovery time would be the 2nd time around? Thanks for any help you can give.

• Hi,

I have not had exactly the same problem as you, but I did have 2 fusions in 7 months. First L4/L5 since the vertebrae was slipping and causing pain and weakness. The L1-L5 since my spine started to collapse. The screws were taken out of L4/L5 and I had a bone graft from my hip this time. I am good at growing bone so the fusion is solid. The bone graft is the worst part tho. The recovery from it takes longer than the surgery. Its been 3 years and it is still painful. My recovery the 2nd time really wasn't much different since I was still recovering from the first one!! So it was just a continuation. The surgeon went in thru the same incision and it didn't look any different than if he had done just one. However when it came time for my 3rd fusion last march (L5/S1) I wished he had put a zipper in!! Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.