Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It is 1:30 AM and have to be at hospital in 4 hours!!!

rascal2717rrascal2717 Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Needless to say I am wide awake and am freaking out about surgery in a few hours. I would probably have to take 5 sleeping pills to get to sleep and then would probably oversleep my surgery. Great, right??
Am definitely not looking forward to the next 3 weeks/momths. If it is anything like my surgery 24 years ago at age 34, it should be absolutley horrendous. My friends all tell me not to worry and how much better spinal surgery is today, but my doctors have advised me that this one will be quite difficult and to recover as completely as 24 years ago are is not realistic this time around. (could have another child, ski, golf, ice skate, dance, yoga etc) So much for fabulous encouragement and positive reinforcement. I am typically a very optimistic person and not a wimpy patient (tough cookie) but I am absolutely dreading this. When I get back on-line, will give you the update and hopefully be my upbeat, cheerful self. Time will tell. Wishing all of you speedy recoveries with as little pain/dicomfort as possible. Believe me, there is life after surgery and this too shall pass.
Sending my best to all

• I too, always have trouble sleeping before surgery. I had fusion with cage and screws, etc... on June 29th of 2010, and recently had neck surgery this past March. Now, I'm waiting on the ok for some of my metal to be removed next month. Natalie, I understand your being nervous. Don't worry so much about not sleeping because you'll be able to catch up on that in the hospital after surgery. I'll be praying for a quick recovery with little pain for you.
  • Yup, I remember that feeling all too well, as I just had my surgery on 7/6. I didn't fall asleep until after 11, and I had to be up by 4 am so that we could leave by 4:45-ish. We had to be at the hospital by 6:30, and we live an hour and a half away. Surprisingly I slept pretty well, and my nerves really didn't hit until we got closer to the hospital. My husband was amazing and kept me pretty well distracted. We were being goofy and we were listening to 90's music and singing along with the radio. It helped to take my mind off of things.

Anyway, best of luck to you with your surgery! I pray everything goes smoothly and that it is easier than your last surgery. I told my doctor he had one chance to fix me, because I would never do it again. While in the hospital he informed me I have another disc that has worsened in the last couple of months, and I'm just praying it doesn't mean more surgery. Ugh, I'm rambling!

Update us when you can!
  • I hope you had a couple of hours sleep.. I hope you get the best results from your surgery and praying for you and your complete recovery. Post when you're able. Sending prayers up. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • and hoping that you did manage to get some sleep before having to get up to go off for surgery.

I am not sure what level you are having surgery on, but I hope that all goes to the surgeon's plan and that you will wake up with good pain control.

Hopefully this time you will be able to tell us that it was much easier than your last surgery 24 years ago.

Now comes the recovery road. It is very long but hopefully won't be too bumpy. Be a patient patient and follow the doctor's instructions. I hope you have some activities to keep you occupied while you allow your body to rest and heal.

Looking forward to hearing how things went.

• What a difficult time, those hours before surgery. There's really no point in sleeping, unless you happen to be a very relaxed person and are taking the ordeal in stride. Few people are like that.
    I remember having to take that last shower with Hibiclens -- the smell of that antiseptic lube frightens me to this day. Then the taxi ride at 5 a.m. and sitting in a room with a bunch of others having various operations.
    One gentleman was kind enough to sign my last-minute advance directive as a witness. So strange, having to think of what I wanted done with me should I wind up being brain dead.
    In pre-op, the patient next to me was about to have brain surgery. I considered myself lucky at for a brief moment. Transnasal craniotomy, was the term the doctor used. The patient said he didn't care what they did to him, but his wife wanted to know. He was too despondent.
    Then having blood drawn through a very thick-gauge needle. Finally, the ride in the gurney to the operating room. Chit chat with the anesthetist, the mask and then lights out.
    "My back!!," I yelled after waking up. I've been saying that ever since.
  • Wow! Your surgery is probably done and over with at this point! Let us know how everything went. I didn't sleep well the night before my surgery either... But I just told myself, I am going to be sleeping all day for the next couple days/weeks so it really does not matter. Not like you have to get up the next day and run a marathon (Although I think running a marathon is less stress on the body than surgery!!)
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • By now you are at the hospital, maybe even finished surgery. Wishing you all the best! It is so hard to sleep the night before, now after, sleep and rest is so important for recovery. Now that you are on the other side, you can relax, rest, and let the healing begin.

We are thinking of you. Please post when you can and let us know what you had done, and how you are doing.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hopefully all went well. Now the road of recovery, take it easy and I hope all has a painless and good outlook on their conditions.