Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Knowledge About SCS Before Trial, And THANK YOU!!

jayciejcjjayciejc Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I just posted this on my post "getting SCS trial tomorrow, any last minute suggestions?" but feel I need to reach more people before they have one. I am 2 days into my trial. So here it is:

I had the easiest surgery ever! My doctor knocked me out for a few minutes while he installed it. I never felt any pain at all while at the surgery center. I also remembered to ask the Medtronic rep about unlocking the bandwidth (thanks to the person that told me that!) and that has seemed to help me. The rep was really impressed about how much I knew and I told him it was all from you guys here! It really does help to have some knowledge going in. I have had no problems adjusting the controls at all. I had read so many different stories on here that I had no surprises. So thanks again everyone!

• thanks for posting your own experience. I would definitely be interested in hearing how you fair with it.Are you using it fo back or leg pain? Did you have a pain doctor or a ortho/neurosurgeon install your trial? I read somewhere its better to have the trial with the person who will be installing the permanent SCS. Also, how long will your trial last?
  • It really shouldn't matter who puts the trial in. As long as you have your film of where the leads are during the trial, that should be all that is needed. In my opinion, its better to have the same SCS Rep for both procedures.

• Hi,
    I had it put in for back, hip, leg and toe pain. So far it is covering all of that so I am very excited. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap after sleeping at least 8 hours last night. I haven't been able to sleep more than an hour or two at a time (and doing that was a good day) for a real long time. I usually wake up every few minutes, then fall back asleep after another few minutes. I am on all my meds, but want to try to lower them a little at the end if I feel up to it. I had it installed by my PM doctor, and my orthopedic surgeon is going to put the permanent one in. My surgeon sent me to this PM just for this as the one I had been using didn't do them, nor did the previous surgeon I had. So these two doctors have been working together for quite a while. As far as I know, the rep will be the same during the surgery. I will definitely request him. I saw the x-ray that they took; the rep had it with him when he was turning it on and adjusting it for the first time. When I woke up now I was feeling a little bit of pain on the right side of my lower back, so I turned that side up a little bit and the pain went away. This is so awesome! And I am sitting as I type this and it isn't killing me yet. I haven't been able to sit for years without immediate pain. I do feel a little bit, but I have been so sore for so long that I expect that at first.
    The only problem the PM doctor saw before installing it was being able to get it past all the hardware I have in my lower back. Luckily he was able to get it where he wanted, it is either at T8 and T9 or T7 and T8. I was a little looped still when I asked!
    My trial is going to last 5 days. I know I am going to miss it when it comes out. I hope to have the surgery to have it permanently installed quickly.
    I will be very happy to keep you up to date on my experience with it. You can ask me anything!

I have so much hardware in my spine, and have had 3 revisions, that I need to sit down with my doctor sometime and find out exactly what I have inside me now. I did know, but didn't write it all down. I know I have at least 4 rods, some plates, cages , 4 screws that aren't included with that hardware, and who knows what else. I have at least 11 different levels that have hardware. I have DDD, spinal stenosis, arthritis, and other spinal problems. I am on day 2 of my SCS trial!