Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gastric Bypass & Pain Management

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Due to my health problems & weight gain I opted for Gastric Bypass in 2004. 7 yrs later & I'm still at my goal weight...actually lighter. This surgery helped with my chronic low back issues but the last few yrs Pain Management has been tough. Long term 12 hr drugs have to be taken every 6 hours. I'm no way new to PM and neither are my drs. We just have a terrible time keeping me controlled. Due to other issues. I'm not listing everything I take but here is a overview...
Extended Release top end of dosage pain med taken 4xday
Instant Release high dose pm 4xday
Cymbalta 60mg 3xday
Sleep aid 3xday to prevent me getting to hyper from pm

There are other things but supplements mostly...

Anyone else have weight loss surgery & BIG issue with pm????

Love Y'all

• I too have had Rny bypass, in 2003 maintained my weight of 150, loosing 150. I guess I lost 1/2 of myself, but B4 that, I was doing heavy lifting while helping my husband with a 10 lift satellite dish, upporting it so he could adjust it (we had a business)I held it as long as I could and all of a sudden pop and ungodly pain down my left leg, thiought Id die. went to ER and they gave me an injection, and asked if it helped, no just made me drowsy. went to reg md and had MRI, showed ruptured L4. She sent me to a neuro surgeon and he said "your too fat" my insterments wont reach, Ill put you in PT for a while with traction, ER meds, zonegrain, neuronton. not help just 3 months of pure hell. I went back to see him and said"well do you know of any doctors that do surgery on FAT PEOPLE? teasingly I said run to walmart and get some longer ones. He must not have caught to joke since he looked at me puzzled or thought I was serious. He looked at my back and said well you dont have much fat on your back its all in my belly and front. The next morning after surgery L4 Lamnectomy I was up and walking and when he came inito the room, he asked the nurse where I was she said shes been walking around for an hour or so, he was astonished, when he saw me, he told me he had a couple of oter men hed done after me and they wouldnt get out of bed and wanted more meds. Well I guess I showed him not to judge heavy people. well as the years flew by the pain returned, and they had sugested back then a scs, up until 2 years ago I didnt take anything for pain, I found a PM that did a couple of sni, didnt help so he sent me to a neurosurgeon and he said fuse...pain will be gone, had a discography and that was bad painful when he blew L4, waited and searched for another neuro, he said my age Id be fused within 10 years on my own because the facetts were already beginning to fuse on there own. sent me to the most AROGANT, POS, He did facet blocks and really didnt want to mess with me since he kept saying well maybe if you'd had your bypass sooner you wouldnt me this way. I was crying and setting bent over as to tie my shoes...this was the only way to telieve any pain and I asked if I could have more hydros or something else for breakthrough pain, and he laughed his ass off at me, and said NOPE Ill just discontinue all your meds for one month, and see how you like that. (my PC Rx my 4 hydro 10/325 aday and just last year I reruptured and she uped me to 2 pills 4x a day. I cried over what that ass said to me and went back to the neuro that sent me to him and cried and told him the whole story, I said GOOGLE HIM see what everyone else has said about him, ...Well you only hear the bad, NO theyre were many of which said they were greatful to you for saving their lives... SO anyway I found a wonderful pm ina town closer and the first words out of his mouth were SCS, I about fell off my chair, did the trial got the perm in dec '10 also a PNS, I had a revision of the pns 2 months ago and I kept it on a short while then it would irritate my nerves more than help Thiss was done bya differant neurosergeon in INdianapolis,in then he sent me to my GOD SEND neurosogist /PM this is my llast an final atempt at pain relief and I think we have it nailed a Pain Pump. I had the trial (like a spinal tap) I went in afraid it would hurt like the dickens, and on a scale of 1 to 10 ...maybe a 1, wow and NO BACK PAIN or spinal headache for 24 hours however the hydromophone made me itch, Im set for surgery on * 29'11 sorry this was so ling Backpainzz ROse
  • Most drs blame everything on it!
    Everything is blamed on weight. W/out knowing our history. I've always beem 'overweight' per the charts. I had a dr really check my BMI & determined a 205lb 5'10" woman that is very active had 170lbs of bone, muscle & organ weight... I gained most my weight due to depression. Since 1996 a lot of crap has happened. Cancer (no children but no chemo either) then my back issues sprung up @ 1998 & I wasn't considered bad enough by insurance until 2001 then I had surgery after I lost function of both legs. My drs did fight my ins for me.
    Now 10 yrs later I fall & my lumbar surgery that was very sucessful has now failed leaving me fighting more pain. I've been in constant pm since 1996 & now my meds are maxed out and I believe its due to gastric surgery making my body process meds more quickly.

That's for sharing. I know we are talking pain pumps/nerve block testing & surgery.