Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post acdf C6C7

intercity125iintercity125 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi there
i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
2 weeks ago i had acdf surgery from the front with a cage inserted
at the moment i am taking 10mg Zomorph , 300mg Neurontin and 50mg Dicloflex
but they do not seem to be having any effect
when i wake up in the morning after 7.5mg zopiclone the pain is horrific down my left arm my muscles fell heavy and i am also starting pain in my right arm most of the pain is in the elbow area and below and for some reason when i bend my thumb it really hurts
all im finding at the moment is a hot bath helps

please help anyone

mike
advertisement

Comments

• Did you consult your surgeon as to why you are still having a lot of arm pain? Also I am not sure what the zopiclone or dicloflex is but you should call your surgeons office asap (on Monday I guess!). Let them know about your pain and if anything else can be done.

I am sorry you are having so much pain.

Donna
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Do you have a hard collar or a soft collar that you are wearing? I started weaning off the collar and weaned off too quickly and I really got pain down my shoulder blade, across the shoulder and down my left arm. I called my surgeon's office and they told me to wear the collar more and wean off it again.

That really helped and the pain started decreasing within a day or two.

If you don't have a collar, maybe you could ask your surgeon about it.

Take care Mike. I hope you have relief soon.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • hi there
    thank you both for your comments
    dicloflex is diclofenic and zopiclone is a sleeping tablet
    i have never had a collar just been left to me own devices
    thats the NHS for you
    i am findin that b=hot baths are helping me so im the cleanest person i know
    i am back at my GP on tuesday but i will ring the surgeons and see what they have to say

ill just keep popping the pills but god the pain is so bad im only 36 but feel 86 when i wake up in the morning

• Good luck Mike. Let us know how you're doing.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Mike...I have had 3 different fusion surgeries at the C/5-C/6 and C/6-C/7 levels...so I can empathize!..

I think speaking with your Dr. is the best course of action..

You aren't taking the Lunesta during the daytime, right? Just at night to help with your sleep?

How much morphine sulfate are they prescribing you to take per day?

I guess it sounded a bit concerning that you said you are just 'popping pills'....so I'm hoping that you are taking all your meds exactly as prescribed..

It's pretty normal to have pain for the next few months following this type of major surgery...Especially after they start you on Physical Therapy...it will make the muscles sore and reactivate the nerves and tug at the forming scar tissue...

It's a long process...The key is for the Dr. to make sure you aren't having any major issues with the surgery itself and that everything is healing properly...Then once they make sure all is fine...then it's just knowing that it takes time...

I also take a sleep medicine at night...and sometimes because it's putting you into a deep sleep...you can inadvertantly stay in one position for a long time (like if your arm is above your head..or squishing your arm/hand laying on your side)...so this can cause pain and tingling upon waking...But again...this is only to be considered after they make sure that you are healing just fine..

Let yourself rest when needed...and just slowly start building up your activity as directed by the Dr. little by little...you will have good days/bad days during the healing process...And an actual fusion can take up to a year for the bone to fully fuse..

I wish you luck..
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I agree that you need to get checked by your surgeon to make sure the surgery went as planned and your healing is moving in the normal direction. I know that nerves can get very angry after such an invasive surgery, but it's best to get it checked out.

I also agree with perhaps adding a collar. You don't mention how many levels you had done or which ones, so if it was more than one or at the lower level(s) then a collar might really help. I always worried about sleeping when I weaned out of my collar because I didn't know if I was turning my head and leaving it in that position for too long. So I wore my collar to bed for a long time.

You are still early out from very invasive spine surgery and recovery takes quite a while. But do give your surgeon a call and let them know what's happening. They may want you to come in sooner than your first post-op checkup. Better safe than sorry.

Take care and please keep us posted.
    Cathie
  • I also have used my soft collar from time to time when sleeping to help with this as well...so that is a good idea...I hated the hard one's and trying to sleep and had one for 3 months after my first surgery when they didn't use any metal plates/cages....but they certainly have their place..
advertisement