Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Surgery

LanierJonesLLanierJones Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 2 weeks out from an L5 L4 S1 fusion. I feel as if I am doing OK. The leg pain is the worst and seems to be normal. I have a few questions. How long do I have to wait to get out and about like going to the grocery, drugstore, etc? I also bowl on a ladies bowling league and was wondering if I should just tell them that I am going to have to take the year off.
I would be most appreciative any answers to my questions.

Thank you all!

• I had cervical surgery so I can't quite advise you - I can welcome you though.

I wasn't supposed to leave the house until 10 days post surgery. After that I was allowed to do progressively more walking. My first outings were to the grocery store where I could lean against the cart, but somebody else did the bending, twisting, lifting, etc.

I hope you continue with a successful recovery.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi and Welcome.

I am fused L1-S1. I was able to start walking right away but had to wait a week or 2 to drive. Ask your doctor when you can start activities. I was limited on the weight I could lift and of course bending and twisting. I started back swimming as soon as my incision healed. It is great to be weightless. I was able to get back on my bike after my 2nd fusion L1-L5 but am still recovering from L5-S1. I would think the bending and twisting of bowling might aggrevate things if you went back too early. Again check with your PT or doc and good luck!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.