Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Strapping on the seat-belt!

charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, tomorrow's my big day. ACDF for levels C3-4 and 4-5. Got my apartment all cleaned top to bottom, laundry done, dishes.....the whole nine yards. I am looking forward to gettin-er-done. Report time at the hospital is 6 AM for a 7:30 surgery time. Kinda sweet to be first in, that's a plus for me.

Looking forward to better days! :-)

• Hey Charlie,

Good luck on surgery tomorrow. Looks like you are all prepared and that is all one can really do. Be sure you have the bendy straws as they help. Go do something fun for yourself today, and tomorrow will be here before you know it. Good luck and post back as soon as you are able and let us know how your doing. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way, that this will be your answer and soon your back to a more normal life.
  • I want to wish you great success on your surgery tomorrow. I'm sure you have you "station" ready at home - recliner (or other spot to plan yourself) with a table next to it to hold your "stuff." Also make sure you have things handy to keep your mind occupied as recovery is a long road and can get very boring.

I'm an avid reader, but couldn't read much for a few weeks after my surgery, so I played with my Nintendo DS, little games to keep my mind going.

I'm happy that your surgery is early in the morning, it's so much easier. I hope all goes well and as expected and that you get to go home on Tuesday.

Be sure to take your meds as scheduled when you get home to stay ahead of the pain, don't let it get ahead of you.

Take care and I look forward to reading your first post-op post and seeing how you're doing.

Best of luck and we'll see you on the other side! Try to have a fun day today.
  • Good luck charlie. Hope all goes well for you. Keep your hands off the nurses.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi Charlie,
    Wishing you the very best tomorrow! I agree first in is my favorite for surgery schedule. Sounds like you have gotten things ready for your recovery.
    We will be here for you when you are feeling well enough to come and check in.

enjoy a lovely evening!
  • Thanks everybody for your well-wishes! Will be back on soon enough. Feel better everyone, and I will see you on the other side! :-)

• Good luck Charlie!! We'll be awaiting your return on the other side. Due to being allergic to Latex, they toss me in as the first of the day as well. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thinking of you Charlie! They are fixing you up right now. Soon you will be on the other side in recovery. The worst is over, now let the healing begin! Wishing you all the best.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hope everything went well today! By now you are probably on the other side (not sure which time zone you are in, though). Take it easy and best wishes for a smooth recovery!
  • Hey Everyone,

I'm back home! Surgery went well, and all is fixed up. Somewhat sore in the upper back just below neck....pretty standard. Was up walking some laps (slowly) around nurse's station last night because I could'nt sleep, really, who CAN sleep in a hospital? But I have my oxycodone and flexeril and home resting. Just checking in....not completely up to staying online for long.

Talk to ya soon!

• Welcome home! Glad everything went well. Rest up, take it easy, walk when able. Make sure to stay on top of your pain meds.

Wishing you all the best with your recovery. Please keep us up to date on how you are doing, when you feel up to it.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • So glad all went well for you and that you are back in the comfort of your own home. I'm on oxycodone and flexeril as well, along with Motrin 800, Ultram, and lidoderm patches. Remember to stay ahead of the pain, especially these first few days. I made the mistake of thinking I felt better, so I'd lay off of the pain meds for a while, and the pain would come back with a vengence. Now I've learned to just take my meds, as scheduled. I had my surgery 3 weeks ago, and as my pain is getting better, I've been able to manage it with the less strong meds. So I make sure to take those around the clock, and if the pain gets worse, I'll take the stronger stuff.

Get plenty of rest and keep us posted on your progress!
  • Hello!

Thank You Karen and Kim both, and Kim I am glad youre getting better. I'm 2 days in and am slowly and stedily improving. I'm taking the meds with regularity, I did cut back from 2 oxycodone to 1 at each time of dose and so far, it's working. Keeping right up on the flexeril however as the muscles are liking to spasm--as is par for the course. Have caught up on some sleep, too! Slept fairly well last night, and took an hour nap late this morning!

Thanks a million for all of your support, I am so greatful! Hugs to all.....Charlie
  • Welcome home! Isn't that a great feeling not having to think about the surgery coming up any longer? I remember in the hospital after my surgery, I'd fall asleep then wake up with a start and think "Oh, God, I have to have surgery..." then I'd remember it was over. Crazy.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you home and warn you that it could get worse before it gets better. When I got home, I felt great for a few days then once the inner anesthesia they put in wore off I felt like I got hit by a Mack truck. So be prepared. Also, pain at the base of the back of your neck and strong spasms are very common after an ACDF.

Take care of yourself and continue to keep us posted, ok? Glad to hear it's done and you're on to recovery!

• Hi Everyone!

Thanks Cathie for such a nice welcome! :-)

I am continuing to progress well (knocking on wood!). Pain medicine-wise, yesterday I only took one-half of an oxycodone 3 times the entire day. Flexeril, I took a half a pill in the afternoon, and a whole one a bed-time. Today? I took half a flexeril this afternoon, and NO oxycodone! I don't know how it's happening either......I don't. It's only been 5 days. I never was able to knock off the medicine this quickly the previous 4 surgeries. Of course, I have been more mindful since I became dependent on the narcotics before surgery #4 in 2009. Anyway, all I'm feeling is slight spasming at upper shoulders at the rear of the neck, I will probably take another half a flex shortly and put the heating pad back on.....the heat has been a large help for me, and will continue on it. The arms are feeling much better since surgery, and it kinda feels like the nerves are starting to wake up again so that's good as well.

That's it for now, thanks for reading and all of your great support! :-)

• Congrats, hon! Sounds like the winds of change are blowing in your favor!

While I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better and seemingly having a very fast recovery, I'm also a bit scared because I've read some posts where people have felt surprisingly good really quickly, then overdid things because the lowering of pain gave them a false sense of confidence in their healing.

Just please be careful not to overdo things as 5 days from a spinal surgery is still WAY early in the game. I've heard it can take months and months for these things to heal and you don't wanna take 2 steps forward and end up 3 behind, ya know?

But I'm glad that your pain and muscle spasms have lessened for you - that's gotta feel great! I hope that I'll have that same sense of "yeah!" when I have my surgery!

Happy healing and keep us posted on how you're feelin, kay?
  • Hi Bunny,

Thanks for response! I'm definitely taking things slow and will continue to. I fell into that trap after my very first operation and won't do that again. I'm content with the motto: "Slow and steady wins the race." I have been through too many and want no more. Hopefully, you will soon find relief also! :-)