Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication call Fentanyl

EricEEric Posts: 89
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
So my doctor as given me new medication called Fentanyl. I take 50 mg patch for 72 hours. I am getting more relief than i was Oxycontin. It is a patch that i wear. At first it made me too sleepy on the spot, tummy was always upset and i couldn't concentrate. Now i dont really have any of those symptoms and getting much pain relief. I am worried that the same thing will happen with his medication as it has with Oxycotin and Opana...i need meds upped because they weren't giving me any relief any more.
Just wanted to know if anyone has or are taking this and what they think?

• Many people use the patch for pain releif. I was given the patch at 50 mc and it worked right away but it was making me real sleepy and it was too high of a dose to start on so my dr lowered it to the 25mc which actualy worked beter because i could still take a norco if needed along with it or a few during the days as needed..

As you already know the fantynal is a strong combo of more then 1 drug and prety potent so as long as you are ok on it is what counts. Hopefully it will allow you to take a break from some of the oral meds. Or if it helps you get off the oral meds all together would be even beter.

I stoped using it only because it stoped working for my nerve pain and increasing it with it making me so tierd i would not drive on it so i am not willing to give up driving. But many are on higher dose and do fine on it.

Ps: Welcome to the site
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am current using fentanyl and still using percocet for break through. We did have to change the dose on it, for the patch to be changed every two days in place of changing every three days. But it did provide some much needed pain relief, and if I am not in a flare up I was finally able to get some sleep, albeit just 4 hours, I will take it. I started at the 25 mc, but really don't want to go higher. Along with the fentanyl I have Soma, percocet and lyrica. So each person needs to find the proper mix for them. The nice thing is you can put it on and forget about it.
  • thanks for the responses. One patch just didn't do anything for me, however two patches worked but it also made me very sleepy and would fall alseep in the middle of things. Now two patches doesnt bother me anymore but i still get so much pain relief. I had to stop oxycotin because doctor said it was too dangerous to take both. I still take other medications for the nerve pain along with the spinal cord simulator as well.
    Thank you so much guys
  • I have been on some type of narcotic for about 5 years for neck/shoulder/arm pain. Nearly 2 years ago I had a 4 level fusion (C2-3, C3-4, C4-5, & C5-6)
    using 4 of the Medtronic PEEK Prevail disks and BMP. So no donor bone or cages. About 6 months after surgery my ortho dr. sends me back to pain mgmt because I am still in pain, although it is different and I wouldn't call the surgery a failure because I still hurt. Well the PM Dr has had me on Morphine
    (I think 20mg) 2xday (but they only worked for about 6 hours) then I had Percocet 10/325 up to 4 a day and Soma. I had to quit the Soma because the knocked me out. So he switched me to Zanaflex generic. They are better but not great.
    About 3 months ago he took me off the Morphine and gave me Immediate Release Oxycodone 3 times a day and kept me on the Percocet’s for breakthrough and the Zanaflex for muscle relaxers.
    My problems are:
    1. I sometimes forget to take the IMM Release Oxy and then the pain starts acting up pretty good and I just have to take whatever I missed and wait for it to work before I can get on with what I need to be doing.
    2. Even when I take it on time, the relief is not constant and at least once a day gets to me pretty bad. (I have an alarm on my phone that goes off every 4 hours to remind me to take something. Either the Oxy's or the Percocet’s)

SO...I went to the PM Dr Tuesday and explained to him the situation of forgetting and the unrelieved pain that is still hanging around. He at first asked if I would like to try a patch. I said it was whatever he thought would work. We discussed Fentanyl and another new one that you change every 7 days instead of 3. Then I said ok unless there was another pill that I could just take once a day. So he said to try Morphine again but this time 50mg once a day. But when I went to get that filled at the pharmacy it was going to over $130.00! I ask the pharmacist if he could check the prices of the patches the doctor and I had talked about. He said the new one was going to be expensive because it doesn't have a generic yet but the Fentanyl was like $26. So I left the 50mg Morphine there and went home and called the doctor back. He said he would write me for the Fentanyl so I went today and picked you the prescription for it thinking it would be a low dose since I thought it was strong and I was new to that particular drug. But the script I picked up was for 50mcg. I have slight asthma for which I take Symbicort and Albuterol and my PM Dr also put me on Welbutrin (anti-depressant) about 3-6 months ago. I have read and researched Fentanyl on line and I am scared to take it. Am I being silly and should just try it out over the weekend when I will be with family and they can watch me or should I call my PM Dr and try to make another appointment with him for next week?
    Sorry this is so long but I figured more information would help.

Thanks for listening,
This discussion has been closed.