Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ugg...thought pain meds would taper down post surgery....

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Medications
Hi All,
I am now 20 days post op from a two level lumbar discectomy/decompression. I know that I am still early out, and trying to judge my recovery in weeks and not days, but I also feel that I am judging it pre and post surgery.

I had my post op exam with my surgeon on Friday, and explained how I have been feeling(increased pain, spasms,numbness) He has now upped my long and short acting meds as well as adding valium.

I was so hoping to taper down on my meds after surgery (except of course immediately post op) Instead, I am now taking even more meds than before surgery. Have any of you had to do this a few weeks after surgery? Did it eventually taper down again as the weeks, months went on? I don't expect to ever be totally off meds as I have other issues with my back, but didn't want to need more (that is one of the things I thought surgery would help with.)

Anyone else have similiar experiences?
Hope you are all having a low pain day today!

>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Welcome and Best Wishes to You!

20 days is a pretty short time to really be concerned about your meds. You are recovering from trauma; from a procedure that used to take 6 months to a year to even recover from. It takes some time, I guess is how I really should put it. ;-P

Reducing and getting off the meds is your choice and yours alone. It takes time, but in the end, you are really in control, not your doctor. He has put you on different and more powerful stuff, but that is only to counter the trauma from the surgery and you will be able to get off them as you get better / recover.

Take your time, listen to your body; it will tell you what to do and when. it will also tell you when you have done too much, so listen carefully.

Best wishes, and keep us up-to-date!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Sorry about your increased pain and spasms.
    I never had spinal surgery..but as above, I think you are still early out of surgery and it just takes more time.

To me it seems to make sense it may be a little worse before it gets better. Your whole body was involved in the surgery and is now readjusting back to ..hopefully a better normal than you had previously.

I know it's not same thing, but I had kidney removed years ago and I was shocked that I still had the burning bad pain I had before surgery. This lasted for months before one day I realized..pain wasn't there...aand that pain never returned.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing! and pls keep in touch!

You're in my thoughts!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• my pain got worse post surgery as well, before it got better. the surgeon said it would so i wasn't concerned. he said that once a nerve has been decompressed it needs time to re-adapt.