Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flexlexfflexlex Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey. Little intro-Im a 20 year old male, about 6'2, 210lbs. I herniated my S1 aboiut 3-4 for months ago, not sure how but i think it was a weight lifting incident. Afterwards i thought it was a bad muscle pain so i tried to "suck it up" and ended up making it much worse.
So far ive had all 3 of my ESI's, the 2nd proved to help a lil but the other two didnt do much. Im on 75mg lyrica 3X a day and diflinonac (sp) 2X.
Heres the part i kinda need help with
Doctor said i need surgery. Im all for it honestly, i have to go back to school and nothing else really worked. He suggeted a new and nonivasive Disc FX procedure which seems promising from what ive read. Doctor really bolstered it but he probably only sees $$ signs everywhere.
He told me that in order to go ahead with this surgery he needs to do a Discogram beforehand to "confirm the pain is coming from my disc". I stared at him.. like where the hell else is it coming from? The procedure involves mildly sedating me, sticking a needly in 2-3 discs to force me into pain which i already have enough of, and then get a ct scan which gives high doses of radiation.
To me it really seems this is not needed. I have an MRI clearly depicting a large disc herniation at ly l5s1. Both side and top views, clear depiction of the herniation.
I feel this procedure adds unneeded risk, pain, and exposure, recovery time, cost, etc. Is there any way to get out pf this? Is it truly needed?

• they tend to do discographies when they are doing a fusion .{to make sure that the disc above the damage area is sound and will take the hardware} discographies are no fun and they hurt like hell make sure that you have plenty of sedation and iv pain killers .ASK for more if you are in pain ..as soon as pain has been detected tell the anaesthetist that you want more sedation and pain killers .i asked and was not given any {after i was told that as soon as ps in was detected i would know nothing about the procedure as i would be given plenty of drugs they lied!}.make sure you are looked after and good luck
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thanks. Im not doing a fusion though, my doc wants me to do Diosc FX or something, its minimally invasive and they know where the pain is coming from dunno why they wanna do thuis
  • Thanks. Im not doing a fusion though, my doc wants me to do Diosc FX or something, its minimally invasive and they know where the pain is coming from dunno why they wanna do thuis
  • He might need to do the discogram to make sure disc is not leaking. Maybe the procedure he is wanting to do is not worth doing if the disc is leaking because then it would have to be removed totaly and fused. If its just herniated then he can posibly just remove part of the disc that is touching the nerve. I dont know what diosc fx is but why are you wanting to tell the dr what he needs and what he dont need to do.?

Some of the procedures they wont even cover by insurance if the right tests not done to show that procedure surgery is needed. You say you are in your 20"s and you are ok with surgery but you are so afraid if a discogram. Dude. Surgery can become much more painfull then a simple discogram test that only lasts a short time.

And just cause what you say looks obvious on an mri might not be so obvious. You might see whats seems obvious to you on an mri and pain is coming from a whole diferent place you dont even see. So if discogram confirms what the dr wants to know before doing surgery to make sure he is doing the right surgery then just do it.

And you beter be sure you even need surgery and tried everything else because 3 or 4 months and 1 or 2 injections dont sound like much when many have healed from herniated disc in many cases with pt along with injections, Especialy being as young as 20 something years old. Once they do any surgery on your spine it will never be the same and some cases can make it worse. So make sure your dr is not triger happy doing some kind of surgery without you doing many other treatments to posibly work the disc back in to place where it might not cause further issue.

But at least he sounds smart enough to at least do a discogram before he does something he should not do. Thats the advise i can give you me being 50 years old now and having 3 failed back surgery.

Good luck. Hope this helps
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,

• Disc-FX® System
    Safely, Rapidly and Effectively Treat Discogenic Pathologies
    The elliquence Disc-FX® System safely, rapidly and effectively performs minimally invasive discectomy procedures for contained lumbar spine herniations. The innovative, patented design combines simple, intuitive function with precise surgical results.
    Less invasive compared to traditional discectomy procedures
    Minimum annulotomy reduces risk of herniation
    Visualization through endoscopic instrumentation
    Multi-functional therapeutic options; debulking, ablation and modulation
    Manual excision of herniated nucleus through 3.0mm portal
    Ablation and denervation achieved with use of Trigger-Flex®
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
This discussion has been closed.