Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surprises

dmdocddmdoc Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am curious if the MRI pre operative is usually accurate. Has anyone required a more complicated surgery than was expected?
Dana
advertisement

Comments

• I have read numerous accounts of others having this experience. I myself have had this happen several times. MRI is good to "get you in the ball park", but certainly isn't always the definitive diagnostic tool.

"C"
  • I had an MRI and CT Myelogram before my surgery. They both showed herniations at T7-8, T8-9, and T9-10, but T8-9 and T9-10 were the worst and were compressing my spinal cord. When I woke up from the surgery, the NS came in and said the surgery went well. He said that when he got in there, he found that T9-10 was much larger than it had appeared from the images and it was really pressing on my spinal cord. So basically it was a good thing I had the surgery when I did and didn't try to wait it out. The MRI images give them a good look at what's going on, but what I see a lot of people say is that when the surgeon gets in there, they find it's worse than it had appeared.
  • My experience exactly. MRI was taken late December and surgery was performed late January. Surgeon said it would be minimally invasive and last about 2 hours.

After surgery he said...it took about 5 hours and could not be performed MIS because my spurring and bone growth was too obstructive. I have two nice scars now - one is about 3 inches immediately on top of my spine and the other is about 6 inches to the right of my spine.

MRI's will help them, and you, prepare but they are not always, if ever, 100% definitive.