Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

UUGGHH sick and tired of being sick and tired

malick4mmalick4 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Well here goes, I am 27yrs old and have been a CNA for 10 yrs, so I have been aquainted with back pain (stiffness and just soreness) for many years. But this time it was different, I was at work and caught a resident from falling. Instant pain, thought well maybe just pulled a muscle or something, went and told my DON. Off to the physical therapist, for days I was in pretty bad pain and I told him this is not normal(like I said I new sore back)! Well after a week of no change for the better, went for the mri, and yep........herniated discs L4-L5 S1 also server nerve impingement. So just my luck. And this so happens to be work comp...... :''(. So needless to say started gettin the screwins to say it politely! Needless to say 2yrs later ~X( I am about to pull my hair out. I am now to the point of taking 12-14 very potient narcs a day!!!!!!!! In so much pain that I can not even go out to eat because I can not sit long enough.:''(
Still not getting no where with work comp, I start doing things myself, getting dr appts and things. Finally they send me to thier dr. and even he says I should have had this surgery long ago. X(
By this time only sleeping between 1-3 hrs a night, cant walk more then 5-10min, same with sitting, standing, and laying so always up and down moving around.
Now I am outside sitting in the patio chair, go to stand up and lose all ability of left foot. Here I am 26yrs old at the time using a walker because I have what they call drop foot. Could be reversible or not is what they tell me. :S
Finally I am on the way to the surgeons office, he sees me and says yep you need surgery we cant wait no longer for work comp. REALLY!!!! So within 2 days I am having surgery. =D>
And get this the day befor the surgery work comp approves the surgery :T, sure now when the dr decides it cant wait no longer and I am using a walker.
After the surgery the surgeon tells me that I had a bone fragment just floating around in there.
So its almost a yr later and I have been released because I have reached my MMI I now have permanent work restrictions of 10 lbs and sedantery work. I will remain on the vics, I wear a tens unit almost all the time, and still remain to have pain.

Sorry so long and boring had to vent, if you made it here I want to say thank you for reading. :H
advertisement

Comments

• Wanted to welcome you to spine-health. Glad to have you here, but sorry that pain has brought you.
    Your history hit home with me, although I am older than you (40) I too was injured with a patient transfer and not wanting them to fall.
    I waited over a year to finally have surgery and am now just 3 weeks out. Did you have a discectomy or fusion?
    How is your recovery going one year later, in terms of pain and mobility? Have you had physio therapy for your back and foot since surgery?

Wishing you all the best, and again a big welcome!

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • HI Malick,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom still have issues post surgery. I am assuming you had fusion. It is not uncommon to need medications for a longer period of time. With work comp making you MMI are they still paying for your medications? Have you consulted with a attorney? Most attorney's will take you case and you only pay based on your settlement amount. Be sure to negotiate that amount of money. Depending on the state you live in, you may or may not be receiving any income at this point in time once made MMI.

AS far as the drop foot goes if it is still effecting you have you tried one of the many braces to help hold it up? If your not sure what I am talking about look up AFO for drop foot and you should see them on line. I know they will show on google searches.

One thing about these conditions is sometimes we need to vent so vent away, as we all understand what you are going through.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you make out. Once again welcome to spine-health.
  • I had a disctomy and laminectomy. As of now almost a year my recovery is at a stand still so to speak, I have better mobility then b4 the surgery but NOTHING near b4 I got hurt. Which they tell me that most of the time surgery fixes the problem. For me not so lucky, after almost 2 years of my nerve being smashed there was no good recovery for me. Pain is better to I can sit and stand a little longer, and things of that nature. But I will have to take vicodens for the rest of my life is what they are thinking, so that was kinda depressing for me to think that 27yrs old I will remain on those pills. =((
    Yes I had physical therapy for 6 months, water and land three times a week. Talk about wore out didnt want to even hear the words pt.
    Hope this answers your questions and thanks for the welcome.

back injury 2009
    had herniated discs L4-L5 and S1, degenerative disc disease and stenosis.
    laminectomy and discectomy
    have had injections, 6 months of water and land therapy, tens unit, and pain meds.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry your surgeries did not work out for you! atleast you are now among friends! stop by the forum anytime and make yourself at home! good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about you condition. We are all here with some sort of spinal problems. It's rough at times. May God heal us all.
advertisement