Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Spinal Tumor

EloweEElowe Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, my name is Eric and I found out a month ago I have a spinal tumor. I've consulted with two neurosurgeons so far. Still trying to find the perfect surgeon to preform the surgery. I'm seeing another neurosurgeon in a few days. It is a heterogenously enhancing cystic and sold mass centered within the central canal of the sacrum at S1 level. The mass extends from the s1-s2 disc level to mid L5. It measures up to 3.6cm (CC) x 2.3 cm (TR) x 1.9 cm (AP). It occupies the entire central canal. Has anyone else had experience with a lesion in a similar location, with subsequent surgery? Everyone is saying it's a benign ependymoma.

Thank you,

• Welcome to Spine Health! I hope you will find this site as helpful as I have.
    I cannot answer your questions since my spinal situation is different from yours. I have had cervical and lumbar fusions this year and am recovering right now.
    However there are so many great folks here I hope that someone may be able to give you their feedback.
    Please also take the time to read thru the resources offered here. There is so much info, I hope that it is helpful to you.
    Take care
  • Your problem sounds very simular to mine - for the past few years loads of aches and pains in right side hip area - after investingations all of this year found out i have very rare spinal tumour in the same area as yourself - had my surgery 5 weeks ago tomorrow - 6 hrs in surgery i week in hospital - very numb in buttocks still and groin area - loads of pain in right leg and foot - sharp spasam like feelings in buttocks - go for post op on 18 Aug and see surgeon again on 29 Sept - really desperate times although i am trying to get back as much as i can to normal its hard going believe me ! -
  • Hi there, thank you for your perspective. It's much appreciated. Do you think your symptoms are worse now than they were before? And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your surgery done? Before your surgery, did your doctor explain to you that the recovery period will be tough like it is now?

• Well i live in the UK - my surgery was put to me that i had no real chose - this tumour was growing and had already filled the sacral canal he thought it was originating just at the termination of the dual sac and could be originating from the filum. It was eroding the bone and compressing the adjacent nerve roots. It was put that the tumour was going to disable me if surgery was not performed along with bladder and bowel function - as it happens when the actually operated they saw the full extent of this and they had to sacrifice my bowel and bladder in order to remove it - this has left me incontienant ! - so along with the pain of the operation itself i have added problems now with bladder and bowel - i know its early days but its hard going - anyway wish you every success with whatever has to be done in order to get you up and running again - good luck - stay in touch