Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need to vent

meliasmmelias Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sorry but I need to vent for a minute! I have had 3 surgeries in the last year. A discectomy, laminectomy and 2 level fusion. I have never been pain free since this all started. About 2 months ago pain was getting really bad at the incision area. Dr decided it was the hardware and had me do a hardware block. Wow! Pain free for 2 days! Gradually came back and I was trying to deal with it. Now for the last few weeks I have severe pain in my back, butt, hips, legs and feet. Dr wants me to go to pain management dr but he can't see me for 2 weeks and in the meantime I am supposed to suffer with no meds at all! I don't know what to do! Thanks for listening!

• I can't believe the doctor won't give you anything for the pain! Any reasons given? I think I'd be looking for a new doctor. Can you see your primary doctor?
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I dont see why surgeon want give meds he should mine still does he want me to see pain mgmt but is still prescribing me my meds until i get in to see them. If not I would go to primary and ask them. hope things get better.
  • Pain management won't give me anything until they see me on the 5th of August and surgeon hasn't given me anything since a week after my fusion. He doesn't like to give pain meds. Thinks tylenol should do it. Sometimes I wish the surgeon had to go thru all this to see how painful it is. People do not understand back pain! I will admit I didn't really understand until it happened to me.
  • After my first surgery didn't turn out so well I had a one month spell before I could get worked back into pain management, so I do know where you are. Sad to say, but too many surgeons see an Rx as an admission they aren't perfect surgeons instead of just the admitting not everything goes perfect after surgery. I agree with Karen - will your primary care doctor help you out for a few weeks until you get into pain management?
    Was the hardware block done for diagnostic purposes (to see what is going on) or was it meant to be therapeutic? Did the surgeon mention where the pain might be coming from? You sound to "early" in your fusion to have hardware removed; I didn't realize that it they even consider hardware blocks so "early"..Is your fusion doing OK or does it look like hardware is loose?

• I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and having such a hard time!

3 surgeries in a year is a lot!! If your primary doc won't or can't help and you are in pain, what about going to ER? They could at least get you comfortable and give you a little support until you have your appointment in Aug.

What about icing? Or a Tens unit? Or something for nerve pain such as Neurontin, Lyrica or even Cymbalta? Often a doc is more willing to start with these and in my experience they help significantly!! Pain meds don't touch nerve pain, but these Rx could really help and I think they are often over looked.

Wishing you all the best!! Shari
  • I would of told my dr who did the surgery on the phone that if he dont call something in untill geting in to pain management dr then i will have to go in to er if pain is that bad. That would make him look bad that he did nothing to help manage the pain after surgery while waiting to see the pain dr. They dont want any patient ending up in er and them being the cause.

My hardware block give me a lot of releif because it covers a lot around the surgery area but it was not as much releif once it was actualy taken out about 2 years after the fusion. Good luck and just insist on something for the pain if its real bad.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for all the kind thoughts and ideas! I am going to my primary tomorrow. Neurontin didn't agree with me, the only other thing they have done is anti inflammatories and lidoderm patches. Neither seemed to help. I do ice and that helps a little bit. i don't have a tens but am thinking of buying one. hardware block was diagnostic and they determined my body doesnt like the hardware. I am a small framed person and I guess smaller framed people have this happen as there isnt much room in there. I am fully fused and all that looks great. I am 9 months out from the fusion and I really don't want another surgery to have hardware removed. Don't want to live on drugs or in pain either! I long for the good old days of a pain free life! I had no idea how good I had it! Thanks for listening and trying to keep me upbeat!