Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WARNING ON PAIN Managment!!!!!!! - Edited

MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Post has been edited to remove specific statements
Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 08/14/11

I have chronic back pain from DDD and 2 herniated disks. I have been going to the "Guinea Pig" drug section of a Pain Managment place in MD. After 8 months the pain had actually gotten worse and I was told I had to be admited to the hospital for inpaitent care. I agreed. At the time I was at a pain level of 8 for over 3 weeks, not slept at all for 48 hours and had just gotten out of the ER ( which 4mg shot of daluided barley tok away the pain). They called an ambulance to take me there but unknown to me also filed a false police report saying I was suicidal. When I got to the ER I found out that all the meds they had given me had raised my pulse and blood pressure to the point of a heart attack or stroke. THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED MY LIFE WAS THAT I WAS ALSO TAKING 4 ASPRIN A DAY. I took me 5 days to get everything straighted out and get dischared after my vital signs had stabilzed. PLEASE BE EXTREAMLY CAREFULL WHEN DEALING WITH THESE PLACES. 4 doctors at the hospital and both ambulance crews told me this is not an uncommon occurance.

• Thank you for sharing! I'm 25 years old and have to do pain management because of an injury to my spine. I've got herniated disc and I've been to the ER twice and they didn't check my vitals either time after giving me pills and/or injections! I'll be more careful in the future!
  • Well for every bad story there are positive stories out there. I am so happy to have the pain management doctor I have. I do see a physiatrist and he is does provide all my medications, does regular blood work, injections orders physical therapy you name it. He is quit adapt at listening to what is going on. We up medications in small increments rather than larger doses. Should the pain ever get so bad, I can't stand it, I just need to go to the hospital he is affilated with. They have my chart and orders on what to give me. I see him every 30 days for medication refills so never a problem. I am so happy to have the doctor I have when I see stories like this, but I also know there are plenty more good doctors out there. But one thing for sure when selecting a doctor it is up to us patients to research them and know the medications they are giving us. I also only fill my meds at the same pharmacy. The pharmacist should be able to detect if there would be a problem with drug interaction and so forth. Thankfully I have never had a issue.
  • Here in the part of maryland I am in all the Pain management places are the same. I am not sure what happened but NONE of them will prescribe anything stronger than Slow realease morphine at 15mg dosage. They will not even prescribe a one time dosage of a morphine patch or sometrhing equivalent to get the pain back down to a resonable level. As a result they fill you up with a dozens other meds that put me in the hospital. I am glad to know there are places out there that will responsibly prescribe what is needed but around here, forget it. I am now off Pain Managment only taing Lyrica 3-4 times a day and skelakin when needed. Once in a while I have to resort to a vicodin but not very often, life is a lot better without them
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    really do not vary from state to state. There is certain protocol that they follow to be consistent with Insurance regulations as well as newly emerging uniformed medical records.

I am going to take a stab and say that IF I was to go to Maryland with my condition, that they were prescribe the same medications that I have been prescribed by my doctors up here. If not, I would really question why?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • in my own experience, i have a doc on the contrary who wont prescribe anything. i agree with tamtam. a patient must do his/her research on that physician. there are some bad apples in the mix. but usually if you as a patient feel like something is wrong, you should consult a physician you trust, I.E your family physician.
  • He was so disgusted he told me to stop going, I agreed and unfortuantly they talked me out of it the folowing monday. I should have listened to him, I will in the future.
  • i'm kind of in the same camp as tamtam with regard to our responsibility to do a little research on the facility/physician doing the treatment. in canada most of the time we do not have a choice of changing doctors. canada has an EXTREME shortage of physicians. we go to who we are referred to basically, case closed. for example there are only 5 neurologists in the entire province, which boasts a population of a wee bit over a million. we wait a long time to see them (sometimes up to 6-7 months). so in a way i am jealous that you have the luxury of going somewhere else. with that, i would say that you are entitled to get the care due, and if that means changing places then go for it.

as was also mentioned above, i have a fabulous pharmacist who keeps track of my prescriptions. she has intervened twice in the past few years, stating a concern about potential drug interaction effects. she wound up calling the physician about the situations and her concerns and the two talked about an alternative medication which the physician thus prescribed.

yah, the medical situation is strange here in canada, but with socialized medicine i didn't pay out of my pocket for all the surgeries i have had. in america i hear that a lot of people with chronic conditions wind up in bankruptcy because they cannot afford the treatment suggested, and i am eternally grateful for that, but yah, it's REAL hard to change doctors here.
  • I just want to add...not all doctors in the state of Maryland are like the ones that you describe. I have close friends there who are CP patients, and who have wonderful doctors that do not have prescribing habits like the ones that you describe.

I hope that you get some relief soon.