Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MINOR back fusion surgery?????????? pleeeeeeeeze

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
according to the paper today the governor of texas, perry, had MINOR fusion surgery and is recovering nicely. he is also wearing a back brace. ok, maybe i have been out to lunch the past couple of years, but i have never heard of minor fusion surgery with or without a back brace. with my experience, fusion is anything but minor. mine took 12 hours and i was in the hospital for 10 days and on a pain machine with morphine for 10 of those days. i also developed a blood clot in my calf and ran a temperature of 102. i also had to deal with the dr putting a hole in my spinal dura which had to be glued with a special glue. but like i said maybe they have developed a minor fusion surgery now, but i have not heard about it. i thought it was one of the more major types of surgery. i had surgeon, and a special dr who monitored my nerve impulses to make sure no nerves were damaged. my first one i wore a special back brace for 6 months. i had to wear it all the time. my co workers teased me totally, hay when did you get the girdle and where did you get it, fredricks of hollywood? ha ha. good thing i have a sense of humor. i did not have one my last fusion and me thinks this is why i have continual pain and other problems. if i had a brace, i think it might have helped. apparently according to the papers, he is walking and working with no problems. maybe martians came to earth and did his surgery. oh well, good for governor perry. i wish the martians did mine. anyone heard of MINOR fusion surgery? no lasers were used, it was basic fusion surgery. it did not say anything about his pain meds and if he was using any.
good luck
hello martians, get in touch with me pleeeeeze.
nano nano
jon the martian
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• I guess everyone responds differently and every injury or damage is different. Just like the skill of the surgeon and the type of instruments can differ.

My surgery was a microdiscectomy, forenotomy and laminectomy. They went in through the back and down and around into my thoracic. I also had a neuro monitor team. The surgery lasted 3 hours and I went home 23 hours after I went into the OR. Two days after that I was off all meds and driving. And returned to work three weeks later but could have gone back in a week.

So I guess what they meant was that his surgery went well and he is able to get back to activities.
  • Kris,

Don't you still have issues and unable to work now from the surgery? Jon, maybe the papers mis reported the fusion part? Also when they say he is working, I am also assuming he is in the governor's mansion, so is that from his bed in the governor's house? I am sure we all could do something if the work was brought to out bedside, not sure many public employers would really take the work you do on those levels of medications though. We are talking about government work not private sector work, so I am not convinced they are as worried about errors and liability with their work as you would find in the private sector.

If your really curious it should list the surgeon and whom did the work and you can call and see if they do fusion surgery and what the typical recover is of course leaving out the governor's name and acting like john doe on the streets.
  • But it does sound typical for an ALIF, 2 nights in hospital & out the door. No, its not minor, the press is making it so because he may run for President; this is probably why he put off his "annoucement"...remember, not everyone does poorly after fusion...
  • Yes I am out of work now but that is because of surgery complications that came up several months post-op.

Politicians do tend to belittle health issues because they don't want to be put out to pasture. But there is a huge spectrum of back surgery. So his may really have been "minor" compared to others.
  • when i think of fusion, i think of cutting into your back, taking out disc, bone graph, insert rods etc, etc etc. to me microdisectomy is not fusion surgery. maybe he had microdisectomy but the paper should have said that, not fusion. i believe most of us think of fusion and what i just said, major cutting, insert rods, bone graphs with some of us getting bone from the hip to graph. this is not a short time operation imho. thank god i did not have to have the bone taken from my hip. they were able to get enough bone from my back to use for the graphing. people forget that this is why one had to take care and have a brace because of the bone graph healing. the rods are inserted along with the bone and used as a paste to glue the rod. if you look at an x-ray if you have had a fusion, you will notice a large bump on your spine where the bone graph was used.
    anyway, just stating my own opinion on wether fusions are minor or not, if one have had a true fusion, with rods and bone graphs and a brace, it still is not minor to me
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • They had to mean it was min. Invasive fusion procedure. You know the one where they dont cut you open like a pig like they did with us. I seen a few videos where they go in with special tool and can actualy do fusion and dont have a biger hole in your back then a dime. That has to be it lol. No need to thank me problem solved lol
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Actually, my surgeon, when we were discussing whether to do the foraminotomy or fusion last month, was telling me that they are doing a much less invasive procedure now, one night in hospital, but if everything is going okay, you could even be released that day, no hardware, no neck brace required after. I don't know much about it as we didn't discuss it a whole lot as we decided to do the foraminotomy, but I imagine I'll be finding out a lot more when I see him again next month to discuss the next surgery. That was for cervical fusion though, I don't know about lumbar.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I agree with you Jon. A true fusion is just as you described to me. They do have new procedures like what Alex described, but that isn't what most of us had that are here. When they took part of my hip out I thought I was going to die with the pain from the fusion and graft site. Being the Governor, I am sure he got the most up to date procedure possible. I'm glad to see someone get good results. I'm with Tamtam on the type of work he is probably able to do right now. There is no 8 hour a day, 40hrs a week in the office this soon no matter the type of fusion procedure. I am having my back fused again in October or November, and it is the traditional big surgery with rods and screws again, with bone graft of my other hip. No more hips left after using this one, ofcourse my surgery is being paid by worker's comp, so new age technology is out the door, especially since I'm already totally disabled and not able to get back to work. Sorry it's easy to get off subject. Good luck Governor.
  • All my fusions have been cages, screws, plates, bolts, bone grafts or bone powder, morphine and a week hospital stay. I didn't know it could be considered minor. The governor probably controls the press release and if he is considering running for Pres can make it sound however he wants to. Interesting tho.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • if franklin roosevelt and woodril wilson can down play their physical problems, polio and stroke respective, i guess a guy running for governor today can do the same thing. also reagan down played his problems with his shooting also. it was a lot more serious than reported and he came very very close to dying. kennedy had addison's disease
  • I am interested in finding out about the cervical procedure you mentioned without hardware or neckbrace. Can you please private message me about it, possibly giving me the hospital or doctor information?
  • Well...because he is the Governor...He got to use his own adult stem cells that were taken out a few weeks prior to the surgery...Of course they weren't embryonic stem cells since he is opposed to those!

They take the cells out from healthy tissue...and then inject them back into the disc area...

This procedure is not even approved by the FDA so he paid 10's of thousands of dollars

The surgery itself was a spinal fusion and nerve decompression which happend back on July 1st.

So he definitely had both orthopedic shoes and a back brace on for the last month and almost a half (removes the brace briefly for a press shot or interview)...

I guess it's similar to the Bone Morphogenetic Protien that I had injected into the dissovable sponge inside the allograft bone.

So yea..I'm sure they had the absolute best Dr.s..he is doing physical therapy at his pool every day and walking...and said he is doing well now...(Aug 12)..

Gee....now what would he have had to do without any health insurance like myself or others...Wonder if he could answer that question on the presidential trail...How do you think someone pays for this that can't? Sell my home? Car? Just so we could walk???

Arghhh...don't get me started on health care...

• Not everyone gets braced after lumbar spinal fusions, some surgeons specifically discourage and don't recommend braces it because it prevents reconditioning of lumbar muscles.
  • said that any fusion is major and will take upto 3 years to recover from .and at least 12 months intensive rehabilitation .i don't know the guy you are all taking about but i also agree with jon .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have had 3 fusions and no brace with any of them.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • today, and looked very stiff. I certainly hope that he is not taking mood-altering drugs and expecting to become President of the US.

• I am still pre surgery after my appt last week but was told with the ACDF 2 level, no brace but one long plate with 3 screws.

I am still giving it another month or so as my pain has redistibuted itself 50/50 between my arm and neck.

These people do seem to get the best of everything.

This discussion has been closed.