Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pet's n' Pain

charliesangelccharliesangel Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Not pet's in pain...
but pets and their affects on human pain.

I have a small zoo at my house (six (6) cats and two dogs), something I worried about after my fusion surgery. I worried that I would be stressed over their need for me and I would be unable to cope with my pain and give them what they needed at the same time.

A week after surgery, I was having a bad reaction to the pain medication and decided not to take them (*not a good idea*).
However, the first night of no medication, I could not sleep. One of my cats was relentless and decided he wanted to sleep on top of me. After multiple times of trying to convince him I was not his bed for the night, I finally gave in.
I also gave into scratching him on the head, rubbing his belly and with in 20 min's he was asleep and so was I.

The next night, same story. But, it only took 10 min's for me to fall asleep.

After the fourth night, I was searching for my cat, if he did not climb up onto the bed right away! He became my little pain reliever.

Yes, I still had loads of pain (and still do) but I could get comfortable enough to fall asleep with out too much hassle.

Does any one else have pets? Have you experienced the same pain relieving affects of having a pet near you?

I just thought I'd share this, I'm in some pain this morning, so I think I will go lay down with my cat for a while...

• I have a cat, and he does come over to me more if I don't feel well or have more pain. He'll either jump up to be near me or lay near my feet. It is soothing to pet him. He does the same thing with my girls.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Great for your pets helping you out. Sometimes they sense when we have something going on. I just moved and my oldest kitty sticks with me like glue. They are indeed comforting and even studies shown to help elderly and they have pets visit senior homes so residents can get their pet love treatments.

However I don't know how you manage all your pets, to take the dogs walking twice a day can be great therapy walking for recovery from your surgery and they can give one incentive to get walking!

Cats can trip you up and lay their 10 lb. or more fluffy bodies on top of you. lol Imagine if all the cats wanted to sleep on top of you?

What kind of reaction did you have with the pain meds? Did you let your Dr. and Pharmacist know? It would be good to have pain meds for once you're moving, walking or doing Physiotherapy or on the week end when your Dr. office is closed. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Karen and Charry, yes.. it's wonderful to have a fuzzy critter around and it is very helpful for pain relief and physical therapy!

Charry, all 6 of them DO want to sleep on me! However, this usually happens when I am already asleep, so I do not notice. Only two of my cat's weigh over 10 lbs, one is just over 20 lb's... and continues to gain (arrr.. we're looking into that, he's an emotional eater).
    I do have pain medication (more then I need) and I do keep it around just in case. I have morphine (which is the one I was having a reaction to) vic's and oxy's, both of these I seem to do fine on.
    I too read a study about the endorphins in the brain that are released when petting an animal. It amazes me, that with out thinking, we can release these chemicals in our brain, because of an outer stimuli. Whether that stimuli is an obnoxious cat that we give into or a dog that properly begs.

• I have 5 cats and yes it is very comforting to have them close by. One of my cats does like to sleep on my neck or head and then its time to move (me of course, not him!!). They always seem to know when I am down too. I wouldn't want to be without them!! :)))

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I have 4 indoor cats, and two outdoor dogs. My "kids" seem to know if I am down or hurting more than usual, and they stick with me like glue! My Chausie weighs around 12 lbs and my Maine Coon, he's up to 23 pounds and still growing! I also have a Bengal, and he tends to be a loner, and then my black and gray tabby - she's 21, is also a cuddlier; she and my Bengal weigh around 10lbs.

Normally my Chausie sleeps between my thighs, my Maine Coon on my right side, and my girl, she likes to lay on my chest. And yes Angel, like you, I do fall asleep faster with my cuddle kids snuggled up. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My cats are all indoor also. I have a big striped tabby who is 18 pounds with the biggest feet you have ever seen. He is a baby tho. One very small striped tabby who is 18, an orange tabby and a beautiful Snowshoe Siamese. Everyone has their appointed place on the bed and its very comforting. I love my fur kids!! :)))

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • seem to know, We had 6 cats and a dog when I had my first lumbar surgery. The cats are all actually my wifes cats(she feeds them).They generally don't come by me that much. After my surgery a couple of them would not leave my side while I was in bed. Also the dog(who always jumps on me when I come in the door) did not jump on me, just wagged her tail and watched me walk in. Unfortunatly this didn't last forever, but she didn't jump on me for over two weeks after the surgery. lol
  • I have two dogs and a cat. Studies have shown that petting an animal can help reduce your blood pressure. They sure keep me laughing with their antics. All three get along great. They sleep together,go out to play together, and the dog eats the cat food, and the cat eats the dog food. :? They are a blessing . The only scary thing is I worry about my cat tripping me down the steps. Def. they take your mind off a bad situation!