Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Damage in foot??

brokenbrianbbrokenbrian Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
I am on the fence about having another surgery. My feet have been hurting a lot lately especially the left side. But I also have 2 discs pinching the nerve one on each side. On the days where my feet don't hurt real bad I still have a numbness feeling, sometime tingling. Sometimes I feel like I could step on a nail and not feel it.

My question is, am I having good days with some damage and bad with some pain? Or is my numbness still from the disc touching the nerve? I really cant tell, I've had these discs on my nerves for 2 years now. It got slightly better after the last surgery.

If I had the numbness/tingles and my nerves were no longer pinched than I would know what I'm feeling is some nerve damage, but since its still pinched I am hoping that a revision discectomy could help me.

Any thoughts?

• Have you had a EMG/nerve test on your legs yet to show the nerves are affected or a Discogram? I would ask the Surgeon if you prolong surgery if it would cause more damage waiting. I heard the nerves can heal after compression at about 1mm a day however only time and the Surgeon and Neurologist will be able to determine if there may be permanent numbness or damage.

I have nerve compression in my foot for over 3 years and they say I'm not a candidate for surgery and abnormal findings on the EMG but sometimes I feel my foot is less numb and drop foot is better. I don't know if mine will heal after having a disc herniation at L5-S1 before with the disc material sitting on my l5 exiting nerve before and it's still not healed since herniation as healed so don't know how long it will take or if I have permanetnt nerve damage.

I think a second opinion Surgeon may help also Brian. I hope your surgery goes well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I will be seeing the surgeon again on Monday Aug 8th so I will have more q's for him. I just always have a hard time trying to explain to him how I feel. Last time I saw him he said be a little more physical and if it hurts come back. Well it definently hurts and and theres still "sever impinged nerve". So I hope that if I take away the pinched nerve, itll feel better and Ill have more of a chance to heal the nerve.
  • Brian - I had pain and tingling in my right foot before I had my fusion. It would come an go. When I awoke from surgery (my first one), I asked the nurse to help me get my foot off the bed railing because it felt as though it was pressed up against it and had gone to sleep. Nope - no bed railing there - just a numb foot. It's been over 2.5 years since surgery and the outside of my right foot is still numb. I don't know if it will ever go away. It's really hard to say whether the pressure on the nerve will cause permanent damage, whether taking the pressure off will give you improvement, or whether just having another surgery will leave you with a more permanent numbness. Some of this stuff is just a crap shoot.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.