Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can I manage this by myself?

ktrombkktromb Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

In five days, I'll be having a 2-level ACDF (and I'm eager and dreading it all at the same time). I asked my surgeon about how long I would be in the hospital and he said probably 2 nites, but that my insurance had approved 3 in case I need it.

I live alone and since I have good friends just down the block and a sister about 20 minutes away, I haven't made any arrangements for someone to stay with me 24/7. I am assuming I'll be able to shuffle around, make coffee, shuffle around, get to my recliner, shuffle around, get to my meds, etc. Am I expecting too much of myself? I really can't expect constant care from my friends and family because they've got lives, too. Should I consider hiring a sitter (even tho I don't really have the $)?

thanks for any advice!

• Did your doctor give you any instructions regarding help? I was told to have somebody 24/7 for the first week, but I had 4 levels. I would have had trouble getting food prepared to eat. I needed help with showering - getting the hard collar off, covering the incision and putting on my soft collar. I recommend you have a grabber. Look at the lists available on the site for things to do before and in preparation for surgery. I wouldn't have been comfortable being home alone the first couple of nights. I was in the hospital 4 days.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • My wife was there but I could do a lot for myself. I was even washing clothes and taking the trash out after a few days. Just couldn't lift over 8 lbs ex gallon of milk. Your situation may be better than mine since I had to get a lumbar lami about 3.5 months later. This was after I spent over a month in the hospital last 8/15/10 from a motorcycle wreck. Good luck, I hope all goes well with you.
  • I just had a 3 level ACDF. I went home that evening at 6 after surgery at 11. I could have stayed but wanted to go home. My daughter was home but I did not need any help that night. I have been basically home alone since and I have been fine. Just like lbritt64 I cannot lift much.
    Good Luck!
  • Wow! Thanks all of you for the quick responses. I'll sleep better tonite knowing I probably won't need to spend the $ for a sitter. And surely I can call in a favor or two from my sister if I need her to be here.

• Hi,
    I have had that surgery twice, and other than the no lifting, I was ok. Not much pain, just discomfort..
    Anterior is not that bad, but if you ever need a posterior (I recently had both) it'a a whole other ballgame...you would need help for that one.
    Feel better!
  • Two ACDF's here, and except for my driving restrictions (due to meds and collar), I was pretty independent on both. My hubby had to drive me for my 10 day and 6 week post op on my second surgery. But 'day to day' after surgery, I really didn't need any help either.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.