Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In a living hell...

Everlast716EEverlast716 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this site. I suffered a herniated disc in April of this year. It was the most excruciating pain I've ever dealt with my life. I was in constant pain, sciatica down my left leg, at one point my left foot swelled up really bad for a week or so. I eventually doubled over from the pain. I had an MRI finally, and was told I have a severe disc herniation, with the s1 at 14 mm's. I want to avoid surgery at all costs as a orthopedic surgeon recommended a lumbar laminectomy. I don't want to end up worse after surgery or have a failed surgery. Surgery just scares me. I went to a chiropractor who didnt help, but recommended I get epidural injections. I did recieve three about a month ago, abd they did help with the pain a little bit but its been a month, and the pain is slowly coming back. I called a physical therapist today and am thinking about going to do that. I need to get back to my active life i miss so much. I feel like I will never get better.... At kne point in agony i had a 357 to my head because I couldn't deal with the pain..... This was before the injections and i was out of Norco 10/325. I dont like taking the norcos either, I don't want a damaged liver. But they help, I've been out a week and basically taking 2 advils every 4 hours... Also using biofreeze religiously. I am gaining weight because its hard for me to do any activities. I walked 15 minutes on a treadmill yesterday, and im in pain today pretty badly. I would do anything to get my life back. Except surgery, I've got to have faith that I will get better without some doctor cutting me open like a Thanksgiving Turkey.

• Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. I can understand your not wanting surgery, as surgery can be a very scary thing, and there is no guarantee it will work. With that said have you thought about seeing a physiatrist. They typically will help the patient in all aspects and their goal is to keep the patient out of surgery. He/she will be able to do injections, provide medications and so forth. One thing about being on medications is you need to keep monthly appointments. I am sure you have learned they just can't call these scripts in to the pharmacy as the laws don't allow for it. Maybe once they get the pain under control you won't need the meds any longer.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care and keep us posted on how you get along.
  • HI,
    Having had a few surgeries myself, I know that pain well, and don't understand why you are so against surgery. When my first disc blew out, I couldn't even stand up straight or go up stairs.. Surgery was the only option.. then 2 more herniated, and I had no choice. Am I perfect? No, but much better than I'd have been without them..
    MY oldest son, just had his 2nd disc surgery last fall, and he's back to walking/biking up to 20 miles, with his 1 yr old son.
    His 1st was so intense, he had to be carried out of his house to the ambulance to get to the hospital.
    The 2nd, he wasn't sure what he did, and the pain was not nearly as great as the 1st, but the MRI showed another herniation...that surgery was a relatively quick recovery.
    I wish you the best in dealing with your problem, but I think the meds / injections will only work for so long. YOu can keep putting air in a leaking tire, but it will never be right without a patch!
    Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had sciatica that went from my butt to my foot, constant, I also tried the epidural injections, PT and finally gave up and allowed them to do a discectomy instead of a fusion. Instant relief! I chose for them to remove the part of the disc that was causing the nerve compression. It is a easy surgery and recovery was very quick for me. Have you spoke to the surgeon about your options or is the only option fusion? Are you taking any meds besides pain pills for the nerve pain? There are good meds out there that are for nerve pain. Every once in a awhile my sciatica will flare back up and I can keep it under control with Nuerotin medication. Upon waking from this surgery my pain was gone! Surgery is a scary thing but for me the pain won and I couldnt take it anymore and knew I had to do something. Good luck and keep us posted